Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Center Meeting ~ Clinton County, Ohio

Center Monthly & Quarterly Meetinghouse
Center Road at Anderson Road., V.M.S. 1558
Clinton County, Ohio
The following is taken from an article published in the Wilmington Journal News in 1946:

The grounds upon which Center meetinghouse, shown above, was built were first owned by Gen. Horatio Gates, of Revolutionary fame, in 1793. He sold the country around Center to James Murray, who sent his son there in 1803 to sell the lands. Murray, Jr. went to Waynesville, where he found numerous dissatisfied Friends sojourning and land hunting, as the Maimi lands had no perfect title. Murray donated 15 acres to them for a meetinghouse and sold hundreds of acres adjacent. Center meetinghouse and burying ground trustees were Nathan Linton, James Moon and Isaac Perkins. The first religious meeting in Clinton County was held at the home of Robert Eachus, east of Center, in 1804. A log meetinghouse was erected the same year. The monthly meeting was established in 1807 and a better house was built. It belonged to Miami Quarterly Meeting, Waynesville, and the quarterly meeting was established in 1816 (Center Quarterly Meeting). The building pictured above was erected in 1826 and some of the largest quarterly meetings in the west were held there. Below are the names of some of the noted pioneers who are buried there: Spencer Ballard, Nathan Linton, Rachel Linton, Israel Taylor, Robert Eachus, Isabella Rich, Hannah Taylor, William Doan, Joseph Doan, Eliza Doan. First adult burial was John Vestal, who died in 1804. Some years after the last service was held there, which is believed to have been a centennial celebration in 1926, the building was sold and used as a a place for storage until it was destroyed by fire in 1936.
Subordinate Meetings of Center Monthly Meeting were:
Caesar's Creek Preparataive Meeting 1806/12/01-1810/05/12
Springfield Preparative Meeting 1812/08/08-1818/11/14
Dover Preparative Meeting 1815/11/11-1824/08/14
New Hope Preparative Meeting 1817/08/14-1921/02/05
Lytle's Creek Preparative Meeting 1817-1818
Seneca Preparative Meeting 1822-1824 (later
Jamestown Monthly Meeting)
Chester Preparative Meeting 1824-30 & 1886/05/01-1921/02/05
Wilmington Preparative Meeting 1827/06/11-1828/06/09
For more information see,

Center Meeting Graveyard

Jamestown Monthly Meeting ~ Greene County, Ohio

Jamestown Monthly Meeting
Davis Street & U.S. 35
Jamestown, Ohio 45335

Jamestown Monthly Meeting was first known as "Seneca" preparative meeting under the jurisdiction of Center Monthly Meeting and then Dover Monthly Meeting. "Seneca" became Jamestown MM in 1910.
  • 1812 ~ Meeting for worship begins in the home of Thomas Moorman in Silver Creek Township, Greene County. The meeting is named "Seneca" after "Seneca Preparative Meeting" of South River Monthly Meeting in Campbell County, Virginia.
  • 1816 ~ A log cabin meetinghouse is built on the Samuel Johnson farm.
  • 1824 ~ "Seneca" become a preparative meeting of Dover Monthly Meeting.
  • 1836 ~ The log cabin meetinghouse is replaced by a frame structure. A schoolhouse is built nearby. There is a Quaker graveyard nearby.
  • 1873 ~ Another meetinghouse is built at the corner of Washington Pike (US Rte. 35) and Heifner Road.
  • April 1884 ~ The meetinghouse is destroyed during the Jamestown "cyclone". The meeting decides to move into the village of Jamestown.
  • 1910 ~ The meeting becomes Jamestown Monthly Meeting. Built the present brick meetinghouse (see photograph above).
For more information, see

Grassy Run Meeting ~ Clinton County, Ohio

Grassy Run Meetinghouse ~ no longer extant
Wilson Twp., Clinton County,
Grassy Run Road, at Thorpe, V.M.S. 830

Grassy Run Meeting was a preparative meeting of Dover Monthly Meeting. It became a monthly meeting in 1910.

Information about Grassy Run can be found at at:

Dover Monthly Meeting of the Society of Friends ~ Clinton County, Ohio

The new meetinghouse at the
Quaker Heritage Center at Wilmington College
is modeled after Dover Meetinghouse.

Dover Monthly Meeting ~
Cemetery behind the building
Union Twp., Clinton County, Ohio,
Dover Road., V.M.S. 1236

The following is taken from the program of the
150 the Anniversary of Dover Meeting,
September 8th, 1974
Early in the 1800's four families who migrated from Tennessee to settle along Todd's Fork formed the nucleus of a Society of Friends at Dover. The new settlers were welcome by the Indians living there and all lived peacefully together. As more pioneers were attracted to the area, the Quaker group requested the privilege of holding indulged meetings. This was granted by Center Quarterly Meeting. This later was made a preparative meeting. Soon the first meetinghouse built of round logs was built on the ground deeded to the trustees for three dollars.
In 1824 on the 4th day of the 9th month, a Monthly Meeting was established, including Senaca, now Jamestown Meeting. In 1840 Grassy Run preparatiave meeting was established; this with Dover and Seneca Meetings was granted the privilage of becoming its own montly meeting.
In 1844 the log building that served as meetinghouse at Dover was replaced by the brick structure which still stands. The new building, like many Quaker meetinghouses then had a partition in the form of shutters that raised or lowered as the occasion demanded. The shutters were opened during the worship hour, closed for business sessions. Men and women had their separate business sessions. Later these shutters were removed.
In 1954 a new addition and restroom facilities wre added, the men of the meeting donated the labor.
In 1970 another major improvement in the building included wall paneling, drop ceiling, new heating system and repairing the roof. This was done by the women and men, donating the money and labor. We are proud of our efforts.
Jamestown (Seneca) Meeting was a preparative meeting of Dover Monthly Meeting until 1910/08/06.
Grassy Run Meeting was a preparative meeting of Dover Monthly Meeting from 1835/12/09-1910/08/06
For further information go to
1804 ~ The Haworth and Wright families (from Tennessee) and the Dillon family settle in the Dover area.
1808 ~ As an indulged meeting it met in the home of Ezekiel Frazier and was known as "Frazier's Meeting". They also met in a vacant house for a while until the group decided to purchase land for a meetinghouse and graveyard from Amos Hodson. They then built a log meetinghouse.
1813 ~ The indulged meeting became a preparative meeting and was named "Dover Meeting" by Jesse Dillon.
1824 ~ Dover was established as a Monthly Meeting. Seneca (Jamestown) meeting was made a preparative meeting of Dover Monthly Meeting.
1830 ~ Grassy Run preparative meeting of Dover MM was established.
1831 ~ David Baily of Dover Meeting travels with a party of Friends and Shawnee chiefs to present to congress a memorial in the behalf of the Shawnee at the Quaker Mission to the Shawnee at Wapakoneta, Ohio. The leader of that group of Friend Henry Harvey of Springfield Monthly Meeting. The members of Dover were also involved in the Underground Railroad and many homes were stops along the way.
1844-1845 ~ The present brick meetinghouse was built. The builder was John Oren, Jr.
1924 ~ Celebration of the Centennial of Dover Monthly Meeting.
1954 ~ Renovation of the building: addition to the building and a water system.
1970 ~ More renovation and updating of the building.

Monday, September 26, 2005

Opening and Dedication of the New Quaker Heritage Center at Wilmington College

The Meriam R. Hare Quaker Heritage Center
To educate present and future generations of diverse audiences about the historic and living traditions and concerns of the Religious Society of Friends.
To educate by acquiring, preserving, displaying and interpreting artifacts; by providing tours, presentations, lectures activities, and programs on site; by outreach activities, and by maintaining an online presence.
The Quaker Heritage Center is a result of the vision and generosity of the late College trustee, Meriam R. Hare, '49. Through her estate, Meriam gave the largest gift in Wilmington College's history. In her last will and testament, Meriam established the Quaker Heritage Center: "The remaining balance of my estate, I give and bequeath to Wilmington College, to be used for the expansion of exising or construction of new facilities to provide space, adequate for the processing and display of artifacts and archives to preserve and present to future generations the Quaker Heritage."
On Sunday afternoon, September 25th, 2005, the opening and dedication of the new Quaker Heritage Center at Wilmington College was celebrated at 1:30 P.M. in the Hugh G. Heiland Theatre. The speakers at the celebration were:
Daniel A. DiBasio, President of Wilmington College
Christine Hadley Snyder, Chair of Wilmington College Board of Trustees
Ruth Dobyns, Curator of the Quaker Heritage Center
T. Canby Jones, Professor Emeritus, Wilmington College
Tom Hamm, Earlham College, Friends Collection and College Archives
Joe Volk, Friends Committee on National Legislation
Margaret Fraser, Friends World Committee for Consultation, Section of the Americas
Ron Rembert, Wilmington College Professor, Religion & Philosophy
Martha Hinshaw-Sheldon, Wilmington College Campus Minister
Music was provided by the Wilmington Yearly Meeting Choir, Allen Schwartz and the Wilmington College Chorale.
Judith P. Sargent, the Chairperson of the "Wilmington Yearly Meeting Heritage Fund Quaker Courtyard Project" spoke about the fundaising effort underway to erect a bronze sculpture, "Who Sends Thee?" and four testimony gardens with benches on the Wilmington College campus, which will serve as a visible witness to Quaker values and heritage: the Quaker Testimonies of Integrity, Equality, Simplicity, and Peace. The gardens will be situated between Watson Library and the new Quaker Heritage Center. For more information please contact the Wilmington College Advancement Office at 937-382-6661, ext. 273.
Also see, Who Sends Thee?

The Meetinghouse

The Museum

Also see, Campus Monthly Meeting ~ Wilmington College located in the Kelly Center.

Miami Monthly Meeting of Friends Graveyard in Waynesville, Ohio

Miami Monthly Meeting of the Society of Friends in Waynesville, Ohio is in the midst of a project to clean up the old Friends Graveyard located next to the 1836 Red Brick Meetinghouse across the street from the 1811 White Brick Meetinghouse.
The next work day is scheduled for Sunday, October 2nd, 2005 after the meeting for worship in the White Brick and carry-in lunch at the Red Brick. Work crews are clearing away brush and little trees. They plan to re-set fallen tombstones.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Who Sends Thee?

Above: A wax maquette of
the proposed life-size bronze sculpture
to be placed near the
Quaker Heritage Center at Wilmington College
Sculptor: Allen Cottrill

Wilmington Yearly Meeting of the Society of Friends is fundraising to make the sculpture a reality, and contribution checks should be made to:
Wilmington College, with the memo "Who Sends Thee?" sculpture Heritage Fund
Please send to:
Wilmington College
Office of College Advancement
Pyle Center Box 1307, 251 Ludovic Street
Wilmington, Ohio 45177-2499
The the visit of Isaac & Sarah Edwards Harvey with
Abraham Lincoln is the inspiration for the above sculpture.
Isaac Harvey had received the typical local common school education of the time but he also was an avid reader and a well-informed man. He was a farmer and owned 200 aces of land in Adams Township, Clinton Co., Ohio. He also owned a sawmill on his property. He was a devout Quaker and was politically a Republican.

The story of Isaac and Sarah’s journey to Washington D.C. to visit Abraham Lincoln is a wonderful example of how the individual “concerns” of a Quaker could lead him or her to put personal conviction into practice, no matter how difficult or seemingly impossible. Isaac, whose farm was near Wilmington, Ohio, had made it a point to go see the horrors of slavery himself. He had traveled by himself through the south to see the situation of the slaves. Consequently, he felt called to visit the president, Abraham Lincoln, to lay before him his belief that the Federal government should compensate southern slave owners for their slaves and then free them.

The story of Isaac and Sarah’s journey to Washington is enshrined in an article that was written by Nellie Blessing-Eyster and printed in the Harpers Monthly Magazine in September 1870. The story is also found in Henry W. Wilbur’s book President Lincoln’s Attitude towards Slavery and Emancipation (Philadelphia, Pa.: Jenkins, 140 on. 15th St., 1914).
The Blessing-Eykster version of the story stresses the simplicity of the Harveys, their somewhat spontaneous decision to go to Washington, and their good fortune of running into Salmon P. Chase, a fellow Ohioan and Secretary of the Treasury, who helped them get to see the president. However, it is evident from papers in the Robert T. Lincoln collection at the Library of Congress, that Isaac Harvey had taken some time to plan his trip and had written to a number of politicians for letters of introduction in his quest to see Abraham Lincoln. There is also some question as to the actual date of their meeting with Lincoln, either in 1861 or 1862. It could be possible that Nellie Blessing-Eyster embellished the story by transferring the Harvey visit of 1861 into 1862 a few days before the proclamation of the Emancipation Proclamation.

Whatever the date, Isaac and Sarah did meet with Abraham Lincoln for about a half-hour and relayed their “concern” and suggestion. They learned that there had already been an attempt by the government to buy the slaves as Isaac suggested but it had not worked. Isaac asked the president to write a “minute” which he would then take back to the meeting to prove that he had seen the president. This, according to the Blessing-Eyster version of the story, all happen two days before the Lincoln issued his proclamation of emancipation of the slaves. Unfortunately, Lincoln's hand written note was destroyed many years ago.
Also see,
History of Clinton Co., Ohio: Its People, Industries and Institutions by Albert J. Brown (Indianapolis, Ind.: B. F. Bowen Co., Inc, 1915) p. 719-720.

Ohio Quakers leave special heritage of abolitionist talk with Lincoln”, by Lloyd Ostendorf, Dayton Daily News (Dayton Leisure section), Sunday, February 7th, 1982, p. 6.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

The Evans Family of Waynesville

The Evans Home on North Main Street,
Waynesville, Ohio.
The Surveyor's Office (no longer extant)
is on the right

Benjamin and Hannah Smith Evans immigrated from Bush River Meeting in South Carolina to Waynesville, Ohio with their children.
1 Benjamin Evans b: 12 OCT 1760 d: 10 JUL 1830
+ Hannah Smith b: 3 JUL 1767 d: 19 SEP 1853
2 Thomas Evans b: 12 DEC 1791 d: 11 MAY 1852 (Bd. of Earlham College)
+ Hannah Pedrick d: 11 JAN 1828
3 Benjamin Evans b: 6 NOV 1814 d: 23 JUL 1837
3 Lydia Evans b: 13 AUG 1816
+ Joseph C. Cooper
3 Margaret Evans b: 26 AUG 1818
+ David S. Burson (noted early educator in Ohio and Indiana)
3 Isaac P. Evans b: 1 MAR 1821 (President of Evans Linseed Oil Co. of Indianapolis and Richmond and on Bd. of Earlham College)
3 Ann Evans b: 18 APR 1823
3 Mary Evans b: 5 AUG 1825
+ Elizabeth Robinson b: 24 JAN 1802
3 William R. Evans b: 3 DEC 1834
+ Margaret Hadley b: 13 OCT 1836
4 George Evans
3 Owen Evans b: 8 DEC 1836 d: 21 NOV 1839
3 George L. Evans b: 17 SEP 1838
3 Joseph R. Evans b: 16 NOV 1840 (Partner with Isaac P. Evens and on Bd. of Earlham College)
2 David Evans b: 30 JUN 1793 d: 19 NOV 1861
+ Rachel Burnett
3 Dr. John Evans b: 9 MAR 1814 (Territorial Governor of Colorado)
3 Joel Evans b: 23 JAN 1816 d: 17 SEP 1907
+ Susan R. Sharp b: 24 MAY 1815 d: 30 NOV 1840
4 Elizabeth S. Evans b: 1838 d: 30 AUG 1861
+ Elizabeth Satterthwaite b: 20 JUN 1820 d: 4 DEC 1872
4 Rachel Caroline Evans b: 6 JUN 1845
4 John S. Evans b: 31 JUL 1849
4 David Evans b: 4 DEC 1851
3 Seth Evans b: 21 OCT 1817
3 Evan Evans b: 1 JUL 1820 d: 21 OCT 1821
+ Patience
4 Lydia Evans
4 John Evans
4 Pamelia Evans
4 Hannah Evans
+ Bales
3 Owen Evans b: 17 AUG 1821 d: 29 JAN 1823
3 Rebecca Evans b: 15 AUG 1823 d: 25 DEC 1845
3 Benjamin Evans b: 16 DEC 1824
3 Mary Evans b: 27 JUL 1826 d: 9 APR 1850
3 Hannah Evans b: 3 APR 1829
3 Ann Evans b: 1 MAY 1831
3 Jason Evans b: 31 MAR 1833 d: 23 AUG 1907
2 Elizabeth Evans b: 6 FEB 1795
2 Owen Evans b: 16 MAR 1800 d: 2 JUL 1827
2 George Evans b: 25 FEB 1802 (Bd. of Earlham College)
+ Sarah (Mary) Hasket
2 Sarah Evans b: 6 MAR 1804 d: 24 JUN 1851
2 Mary Evans b: 22 FEB 1806 d: 18 AUG 1830
+ Richard Pedrick
2 Jason Evans b: 25 NOV 1807 d: 11 MAR 1876 (Wealthy pork packer and great benefactor of Miami Valley College in Springboro, Ohio)
+ Amirah Haines b: 22 JAN 1804 d: BEF 1836
+ Mary W. Haines b: 12 AUG 1815 d: 25 APR 1889
3 Sarah Evans b: 12 JUN 1837 d: 7 OCT 1916
+ William F. or J. Lippincott b: 4 NOV 1828
4 Jason Evans Lippincott b: 1 JAN 1861
4 Catharine B. Lippincott b: 15 AUG 1863
4 Mary Evans Lippincott b: 23 AUG 1865
4 Jesse T. Lippincott b: 23 FEB 1876
3 Susan Evans b: 1 JAN 1841 d: 15 SEP 1898
+ Briggs Cunningham b: ABT 1839
3 Benjamin Evans b: 23 APR 1843 d: 14 MAY 1913


David Evans,
son of Benjamin and Hannah
David Evans (1793-1861) and his bride, Rachel Burnett, were the first couple to get married in the newly built White Brick Meetinghouse of Miami Monthly Meeting in Waynesville, Ohio on June 2, 1813. Rachel was a devoted Quaker and Temperance woman. David and Rachel built what became known as the Evans’ house (see above and to the left) in Waynesville located on North Main Street, two doors south of the old Waynesville Academy. David and Rachel owned the entire block of land bordered by Main Street to Chapman Street, to Third Street, to Franklin Road, and back to Main Street. Thier property became known as “The Evans’ Addition” to the town of Waynesville. Information about “The Evans’ Addition can be found in Warren County Deed Book # 27, page 172. The addition to the town was made in 1846. see maps of Waynesville at Old and New Maps of Waynesville and Corwin, Ohio.

David was a Wayne Township Trustee from 1851-1844 and was a trustee of the Waynesville-Wilmington Turnpike, 1851-1852 (Miami-Visitor, May 16, 1851). He was an agent for the Union Insurance Company (Miami-Visitor, January 16, 1852). He carried on his father’s (Benjamin's) Auger trade and also had a mercantile business in Waynesville and he was an executor of wills and settler of estates. He often was called to be the official guardian over minors. For example, after the tragic death of Noah Haines and many in his family in 1834, David Evans became the guardian of his surviving children: Noah (age 19), Ann (age 17), James (age 16), Seth (age 14) on September 14, 1835 (OCP67, #14).

David Evans was a highly esteemed citizen. His son, Dr. John Evans, became the governor of the Colorado Territory in 1861 (The Evan’s Family by Jane and Robert W. Evans, 1994, p. 12). David Evans was also the clerk of Indiana Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) for many years. He was the author of a pamphlet published during the heat of the aftermath of the Hicksite Schism entitled “Calumny Refuted, and the Members of Miami Monthly Meeting of Friends Defended against the wanton and malicious charges and foul reproaches cast upon them, by their quondam brethren in a late publication, entitled, “ A Testimony of Miami Monthly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox) concerning Joseph Cloud” (Sesquicentennial Scrapbook [Published by Indian Yearly Meeting FGC, 1970] pp. 15-17). David Evans was buried in the Friends Graveyard in Waynesville, on 11th mo. 20th day 1861.

Joel Evans,
son of David and Rachel
Joel Evans was an important figure in Waynesville. As a young man he learned the trade of his father, David, becoming an Auger. In 1840 Joel and his first wife Susan Sharp Evans moved to Jay County, Indiana where they lived near Camden. Susan died November 30th, 1840. After her untimely death in Indiana, he returned to Waynesville where he lived for the rest of his life.

Joel had been a surveyor (He began his surveyor business in 1844.) a builder (from 1851-1861) and in 1866 became the Surveyor of Warren County. He ran for County Surveyor as early as 1851 on the Whig Ticket (see Miami-Visitor, August 1, 1851). He won the office in 1866. He was the mayor of Waynesville in 1855 (see Miami-Visitor, April 4th, 1855). He put out his shingle in Waynesville often advertising in the Miami-Gazette: Joel Evans, Surveyor, Conveyancer and Notary Public, Waynesville, Ohio (see, July 5th, 1865). He was elected to the Board of Warren County Commissioners from 1871 to 1874. As a builder (architect) he drew up the plans for the Warren County Children’s and Orphan’s Home at Lebanon and was the superintendent of its construction in 1874. He was on the first Board of Trustees of this Children’s and Orphan’s Home. He served for two terms.

His surveyor’s office was located on North Main Street next to his parent’s home (see photograph above). He plotted the "Evan’s Addition" to Waynesville wherein was located the Waynesville Academy. He surveyed and plotted Miami Cemetery in 1867 and he was on the Miami Cemetery Board of Directors for many years. He was elected to the Board of Education in Waynesville beginning in 1873 and served as clerk for many years. He was also one of the first Directors of the The Waynesville National Bank, which was founded in 1874. Other directors were: S. S. Haines, S. W. Rogers, Jonas Janney, E. A. Brown, A. P. O’Neall and B. A. Stokes.

On August 18th, 1869, Joel Evans penned a very lengthy article for the Miami-Gazette entitled, “Facts and Figures” which reflects his interest in mathematics, trigonometry and natural law. His conclusion is rooted in his Quaker faith:

As the ancient philosophers said of Deity, so is it true of his universe, “its center is everywhere, and its circumference nowhere.” In the contemplation of these truths, what a ample field of reflection is opened before us, and “A soul without reflection, like a pile without inhabitants, to ruin runs.” And when we reflect that all truths are of Divine origin, part and parcel of the attributes of Deity, fixed and eternal, existing in the beginning, unchanged and unchangeable forever, how many finely wrought theories, the productions of Man’s feeble and fallible imagination, have fallen and must continue to fall when found opposing these immutable laws of nature.

According to Clarkson Butterworth (Membership of Miami Monthly Meeting in 1897): Joel Evans, b. 1 mo. 23rd 1816-d. 9 mo. 17th 1907). P. O. and residence, Waynesville, Ohio. His first wife and present third one were not members. His second wife, and mother of his son David was Eliza, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Linton) Satterthwaite. Joel’s parents were David and Rachel (Burnet) Evans, which David was the son of Benjamin and Hannah Evans and which Rachel was the daughter of John Burnet, brother of Daniel who married Ann Gause and in 1845 was living with Ann in the large brick house now gone at or near the site of the present home of Eli D. Burnet here in catalogued. About 1823 and I do not know how long before and after that place was the home of said David and Rachel (Burnet) Evans and their family. Said Rachel’s father, John Burnet, having died his widow married Job Jefferies . . . Descendents of this Job Jefferies still live north or northeast of Oakland in Clinton Co. Ohio. Joel’s first wife, Susan (Sharp) Evans had issue but none are living (Their daughter was Elizabeth S. who died in Waynesville August 30th, 1861 at the age of 22 year 7 months and 10 days.). His second, Eliza (Satterthwaite) Evans had besides David, and John S., a daughter Rachel Caroline (Carrie) who married Seth W. Brown (1841-1923), now a member of Congress from this congressional district. His present wife was Cynthia Fitzpatrick and has no children.
Late in his life, Joel bought the Italianate Victorian house on North Main Street from John and Clara Funkey. His third wife Cynthia Fitzpatrick Evans (1850-1928) was a lavish entertainer and the house was perfect for her social galas. Cynthia owned the mansion up until her death on April 16, 1928. For more information see 1882 History of Warren County, Ohio (Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882), p. 839-841 and Waynesville’s First 200 Years, 1797-1997 [The Waynesville Historical Society, 1997], p 185.

Above: The Funkey~Evans House

Jason Evans,
son of Benjamin and Hannah

Jason Evans, originally from Waynesville and a wealthy self-made man, was always very generous in his support of schools. His advantages of schooling were limited when a youth but he attained the equivalent of a business education and taught mathematics in the Waynesville public schools. He also was the clerk of Miami Monthly Meeting while he still lived in Waynesville. Before he and his wife Mary moved to Cincinnati in 1843, he was from 1832 to 1840 owner with Stephen Cook of the Jennings Mill along the millrace in Waynesville. He also owned the Buena Vista Saw Mill one mile below Waynesville. After becoming sole owner, Evans sold the Jennings Mill to William Oliphant for $14,000 in 1840.

Jason Evans became a very successful businessman and banker in Cincinnati. He was a prominent member of Cincinnati Monthly Meeting being at one time its clerk, a trustee, its treasurer and an elder. He was the largest contributor to the establishment and sustaining of Miami Valley Institute ~ A Hicksite Quaker College in Springboro, Ohio and controlled the majority of the stock. The Wrights of Springboro and the Butterworths of Foster’s Crossing supplied the liberal philosophical point of view for Miami Valley College and provided administrative and teaching skills, as well as money. Jason Evans, however, provided the bulk of the material wealth needed to accomplish the mission.


The Evans family members were very prominent people moved beyond Waynesville into southwest Ohio (Waynesville and Cincinnati) and Indiana (Indianaoplis and Richmond). The family took great interest in Quaker Colleges, Earlham in Richmond, Indiana (Orthodox) and Miami Valley College in Springboro, Ohio (Hicksite).

Thomas and George were on the Board of Earlham from 1846-1852. Isaac P. Evans, the son of Thomas was on Earlham’s board in 1854, 1865-1867, and 1873-1878. Thomas had also been on the Board of the Harveysburg Academy in the 1840s. Isaac P. Evans was the President of Evans Linseed Oil Co. of Indianapolis and Richmond. Other members of the Evans family over the years have served on Earlham’s board: Joseph R. Evans (1852-1907), a half brother to Isaac P. Evans and business partner, was chairman of the board from 1882-1907. Also, Edward D. Evans, the son of William R., who was a son of Thomas by his second wife. He was the president of the Evans Milling Company, Indianapolis.

The Evans family is an example of a Quaker family that although divided by the Hicksite Schism, but still remained united although there were some lingering bitter feelings. The following story gives an indication of the tension created by the Hicksite Schism. In August of 1828, Miami Quarterly Meeting refused to accept the Orthodox statement of faith “A Testimony and Epistle of Advice”. As the disgruntled Orthodox left the White Brick Meetinghouse the two brothers, Thomas and David Evans, one Orthodox and the other Hicksite, grabbed the minute books. Thomas, the Orthodox Quaker had the books in his hand but David, the Hicksite, stood on his coattails and ripped them off as Thomas rather unceremoniously exited out of one of the White Brick’s windows!

David Evans became the first clerk of Indiana Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) in 1828-1829 and then from 1831-1837, in 1852-1853 and from 1857-1860 (see, Quakers on the American Frontier by Errol T. Elliott [Richmond, Ind.: The Friends United Press, 1969], pp. 391-392).

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Springboro Monthly Meeting of Friends

Friends Graveyard ~ Springboro, Ohio
Warren County
(Site of the first Quaker Meetinghouse)

The first Friends Meetinghouse in Springboro, which is no longer extant, was located just south of the village. It stood next to the old Quaker graveyard. It stood in the northeast corner of the graveyard lot (see above). It was a one story white washed brick that faced south away from the village and Factory Road. It must have looked like a small version of the White Brick meetinghouse in Waynesville. It had a plain interior. The walls were roughly plastered and white washed. The wood was also painted white except for the partition screen, the ceiling and the benches, which were all unfinished. The men’s side had an old fashioned fireplace. On the women’s side was a spider-leg stove. There was a raised platform along the north side for the facing benches. The other benches facing north were five deep. After the Hicksite Schism in 1828, this small white brick meetinghouse, which had been built around 1824-1825, was retained by the Hicksites and was used for fifty years. The Orthodox Friends built another meetinghouse on the east side of Springboro (see directly above right). The Orthodox Meetinghouse also has a cemetery.

The Hicksite Quakers of Springboro decided to tear down their old meetinghouse around 1873. In 8th mo. of 1873 they began to raise money for building a new Hicksite Meetinghouse. Shortly before this Miami Monthly Meeting in Waynesville had also decided to refurbish and remodel part of the interior of the 1811 White Brick. Dr. Aron Wright donated the land for the new Hicksite meetinghouse, which was near the Wright mill and millpond, and also donated a further $600.00 towards the building of a new frame meetinghouse. The new meetinghouse stood where the IGA Store now stands at the corner of Rtes. 741 & 73 (see photograph directly above on left).

The major contributors to the building of the new Hicksite Meetinghouse in Springboro were also all highly involved in the support of Miami Valley College which had opened in 1870: Aron Wright ($600.00), Emily Wright ($200.00), Hannah Wright ($50.00), Lydia Wright ($50.00), Edward J. Heston ($200.00), Mary Davis ($200.00), Jesse Wright ($50.00), Job Mullin ($80.15), David Chandler ($15.00) and Moses. W. Hollingsworth ($25.00). The amounts of their donations for the new meetinghouse are found on microfilm at the Quaker Collection at Wilmington College, the minutes of Springboro Monthly Meeting & Executive Committee. A wonderful description of the first old meetinghouse is also found on the same microfilm.

The Springboro Monthly Meeting, a preparative meeting of Miami Monthly Meeting in Waynesville and a meeting for worship, was set up in Springboro on 5th mo. 9th 1818. It became a monthly meeting 1824. It had been severely hurt by the infamous Hicksite Schism in 1828 and never fully recovered its stamina from that experience. Miami Monthly Meeting in Waynesville had not suffered so severely. Springboro Monthly Meeting continued to grow smaller until 1898 when it became an “Execute Meeting” responsible to Miami Monthly Meeting. Springboro Quakers were strongly "Hicksite". The Orthodox meeting closed in 1875. However, the Hicksite Quaker meeting in Springboro was intimately involved in the establishment of Miami Valley Institute ~ A Hicksite Quaker College on the east edge of town.
Also see: See, Thomas Hill's Monthly Meetings in North American: A Quaker Index: (Hicksite), and,
The Orthodox Friends in Springboro had one subordinate meeting: Sugar Creek Preparative Meeting (Orthodox), which met from December 19th, 1822 ~ November 13th, 1841. It was located just east of Centerville, Ohio near of intersection of Clyo Road and Rte 725 (Montgomery County). The meetinghouse is long gone but the cemetery is still preserved (see historical marker below):

The Sugar Creek Friends Cemetery below

Friday, September 02, 2005

Davis Furnas ~ A Leader of Miami Monthly Meeting & Civic Servant

In 1882
Shortly before his death

Davis Furnas
1829- April 7th, 1906
Clerk of Miami Monthly Meeting (Hicksite)
from 1880-1894
His biography in the
1882 Warren County, Ohio History can be found at:
Davis Furnas was the son of Seth and Dinah Furnas. He was the brother of Dr. Robert F. Furnas. Davis Furnas was married three times:
  • Jane Satterthwaite ~ married September 1, 1852 at Miami Monthly Meeting in Waynesville, Ohio. They had six children, three sons and two daughters surviving: Seth, Elizabeth Bogardus, Anna Blackburn, John and Edwin.
  • Sarah Truman ~ d. 1881
  • Sidney Blackburn ~ d. 1912 (of Fishertown, Pennsylvania)
The following is Davis Furnas' obituary found in the Miami-Gazette, April 18th, 1906:
DAVIS FURNAS, PIONEER RESIDENT PASSES AWAY. Was Minister in the Friends Society, Prominent for many years in the Community and one whose loss will be greatly felt. Davis Furnas, a pioneer resident of Wayne township, died at the Furnas homestead in East Wayne township about eleven o'clock Saturday night. Few men have been so closely and prominently identified with this community as has Davis Furnas. Practically all his long life was lived here. In every undertaking effecting the public welfare his influence was felt and he commanded the respect and esteem of everyone. For many years he was a minister in the Society of Friends, and his loss will be especially felt there.
Funeral services were held from the Friends White Brick Meeting House Tuesday morning and was very largely attended. Rev. Philip Trout, Rev. Benjamin Hawkins, Rev. J. F. Cadwallader, Rebecca Merritt, Bethia Furnas, Matilda Underwood, Chas. F. Chapman and Jesse Wright all spoke during the service, each testifying to the worth, the honesty, the ability, the influence for good, of the long life of him who had passed away.
After the service at the Meeting House the solemn cortege wended its way to Miami Cemetery where the precious remains were placed in their last resting place.
He had been thrice married, his first wife being Jane Satterthwaite, to whom he was married in 1852, and who was the mother of his five children: Seth, Elizabeth Bogardus, Anna Blackburn, John and Edwin, all of whom, with the exception of John, survive their father. His widow was before her marriage Miss Sidney Blackburn of Fishertown, Pennsylvania, a lady of exceptional culture and intelligence. Besides these, there are about twenty grandchildren, and a large number of other relatives and a host of friends who sincerely mourn him.
The following sketch of the life of Mr. Furnas appeared in the Warren County Centennial Atlas which was published about two years ago:
"Davis Furnas was born in Wayne township, Warren County, Ohio, in 1829, and has always resided in this township. He was the son of Seth Furnas, who was the fourth son of Robert Furnas. Davis Furnas lived the busy life of a successful farmer, and has performed many public services. He was township trustee for twenty years; served a greater time as school director; was township superintendent of the public schools for three years; served as juror many times; he appraised real estate and performed many other public duties. He served the Friends as clerk of their Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly Meeting for many years, and has done a pretty full share of traveling, east and west. He has seen great changes in the customs of the people, and in their modes of living. It is almost impossible for the youth of the present day to even imagine the changes that have taken place in this country within his memory."

Joseph Cloud ~ Traveling Minister

Traveling minister Joseph Cloud was an influential minister who encouraged Friends in South Carolina and Georgia to leave the south and move to the Northwest Territory and who held meetings for worship in Waynesville during one of his travels in 1800.
In the summer of 1800, Joseph Cloud, from North Carolina and Jacob Jackson, from Tennessee, ministers, paid a visit to Ohio, held their first meetings at George Harlan’s Deerfield; then proceeded to Waynesville and held one or two meeting there, and, lastly one at High Bank. This meeting and that at Deerfield were those alluded to in the memorial of Joseph Cloud on their way to and from Waynesville” (MEMORANDA: of the early settlement of Friends in the North-west Territory, and especially of Thomas Beals, who was the first minister of the Gospel in the Society of Friends who crossed the Ohio River by Gershom Perdue (Indianapolis, Indiana: Edited and reprinted by Willard Heiss, 1974), p. 7).

Joseph Cloud and family would later settle in Waynesville in 1805. He, and fellow Quaker minister, Roland Richards, would be rival ministers in the newly established Miami Monthly Meeting.

Friend Joseph Cloud was born in Chester Co., Pa., on March 1, 1743. His parents were Mordecai Cloud and Abigail Johnson Cloud. He and his second wife, Hannah, were two of the first Friends at Cane Creek Monthly Meeting in North Carolina to be recorded as ministers. According to Cane Creek Monthly Meeting Minutes, Joseph Cloud made many “traveling minister” trips between 1779 and 1804 to Tyson’s’ Settlement, to “Friends on the Western Waters”, to eastern Pennsylvania and to Europe in 1804. In 1799 he visited Pee Dee Monthly Meeting during the time of great decline in the number of Friends in North Carolina as Friends moved into the Northwest Territory. The meeting was set down shortly after his visit. (See, Cane Creek: Mother of Meetings by Bobbie T. Teague [Greensboro, N.C.: North Caroline Yearly Meeting of Friends, 1995], pp. 26, 41 and 94).
In 1800 Joseph Cloud, a minister of North Carolina who had been among the meeting on ‘the western waters’, visited South Carolina and Georgia, no doubt in the interest of removal. Borden Stanton wrote them urging them to go west in 1802. A certificate from Wrightsboro Monthly Meeting to Cane Creek Monthly Meeting, N. C., dated June 4, 1803 is the last evidence we have of Georgia Friends. They had departed to the great west” (quoted from Week’s Southern Quakers and Slavery, p. 124 in Hinshaw’s Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. I (North Carolina) [Baltimore: The Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1991], p. 1041).
Joseph Cloud died near Waynesville in Warren County, Ohio July 24th, 1816. It is believed that he is buried in the old Quaker Graveyard in Waynesville, although there is no record of it. The burial is mentioned in Memorials of Deceased Friends Who were Members of Indian Yearly Meeting. (Orthodox) published by Direction of the Yearly Meeting (Cincinnati: E. Morgan & Sons, No. 111 Main Street, 1857), p. 30.

Joseph Cloud was married four times. He was married first to Mary Earl Underwood Cloud (b. 3 mo. 22nd 1743 in Chester Co., Pa. ~ d. 1 mo 10th 1789 in her 46th year, buried in Cane Creek Cemetery) in 1763. They had eleven children: Abner (1764), Samuel (1766), Jacob (1767), Jonathan (1772), Anne (1773), Joseph (1775), Mary (1777), Mordecai (1780), Daniel (1783), Joel (1785), Abigail (1788).
His second marriage was to Mrs. Hannah (Beals) Hoggatt on April 22, 1790. Hannah Cloud, the wife of Joseph and the daughter of John Beals, died on 2 mo. 4th, 1804, aged about 59 years and was buried at Center Monthly Meeting on February 6th. She died a little under two years before Joseph and two of his children moved to Miami Monthly Meeting. Joseph Cloud and children Joel and Abigail received on certificate at Miami Monthly Meeting from Cane Creek Monthly Meeting in North Carolina, May 10th, 1805. Hannah Beals Hoggatt was the niece of famous Quaker minister, Thomas Beals, who was the first Quaker Missionary to the Indians of the Northwest Territory in 1775.

His third marriage was to Jane Ridgeway McKay (Hinshaw says she was Jane McCoy) at Waynesville in October 1806 (She died December 1806). For more information about Jane Ridgeway McKay, see The Robert McKay Clan website webmastered by Michael McKay, Andrew McKay was Jane Ridgeway Mckay's first husband.

His fourth marriage was to Mrs. Mary (Cook) Hunt in 1810. Joseph moved his membership to Center Monthly Meeting in Clinton County 5th mo. 30 1810 to marry Mary Cook Hunt on 7th mo. 7 day 1810. See website: ~jrichmon/clou0001.htm. Also see, Hinshaw’s Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. I (North Carolina) [Baltimore: The Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1991], pp. 348, 380, 651, 676 and 1041).

Early Friends in the East petitioned the Continental Congress expressing their concerns about slavery on 4th day of the Tenth Month 1783. They expressed their moral objections and fears for the future of the United States if slavery were not dealt with properly (NARA~Seattle, M247, r 57, I 43, p. 337, Papers of the Continental Congress, 1774-1783). Five years later, Friends at the Yearly Meeting held at Wells Meeting in Perquimans County with representatives from North and South Carolina and Georgia again expressed their concern about slavery pointing out that Friends themselves “had yet to cleanse their hands of slave holding”. A new committee of 24 Friends was appointed to lead the fight against slavery. One committee member was Joseph Cloud, another was John Beals (probably his second wife’s father) (see,

The Will of Joseph Cloud is located in the Warren County, Ohio Probate Archives in the county courthouse in Lebanon, Ohio. OCP 13 #15 ~ DE O P.113 ~ 2 SEP 1816. Date Signed: 24 AUG 1813. Residence: Caesars Creek. Exec: Benjamin Butterworth. Heirs: Widow Mary, son Abner, Son Samuel, son Jacob, son Jonathan, son Joseph, son Joel, dau. Abigail, dau. Anne, gr. dau. Lucreta, son Daniel, son Mordecai (Warren Co., Ohio 1803-1859, Will & Estate Records [Cardinal Research, 9500 Creekside Dr., Loveland, Ohio 45140, 1993], p. 22.)

Joseph Cloud and Roland Richards ~ Two early founders of Miami Monthly Meeting

The story below illustrates how the early Quaker pioneers and ministers were very human and it opens a window upon the realities of establishing a new monthly meeting in the wilderness.

(Story taken from “Settlement of Miami Monthly Meeting, Ohio” (Friends’ Intelligencer & Journal, Volume 45, 1888, pp. 577-579) by R. H (Robert Hatton)
Of the pioneer settler of Miami Meeting few memoranda now exist. They were more particularly acquainted with the use of the axe than that of the pen. The observation of Joseph Cloud, one of them, probably conveys their feelings correctly: “When I die, Just say Joseph Cloud is dead.” While not destitute of literary ability, the necessity of a living overshadowed other considerations excepting religious duties. . . Roland Richards came from Virginia with a large family of daughters and I think, one son. The daughters were Abigail, who married Ezekiel Cleaver, Hannah married David Holloway; Mary married William Mills, Sarah married Judah Foulke; Katharine married Isaac Mills, Sidney married _____.
Roland Richards and his wife Lydia were advanced in years when they arrive he being an acknowledged minister, and sitting at the head of the meeting. He was one of primitive appearance, and adhered to the broad pronunciation. A stranger called to see him and inquired if “Mr. Ro-land Richards lived there,” when the old man replied, “No, Ro-land Richards don’t, but plain Row-land Richards does.” He was tenacious of his views of discipline. A young couple, somewhat related, proposed marriage, to which he strongly objected, but Friends generally assented, the parties not being nearer than third or fourth cousins. When the time for its accomplishment came, Roland continued the sitting long and then rose and observed that he supposed there was couple present to be married and he supposed they might as well proceed to say the ceremony, and then he walked out, not being willing to sanction the marriage by his presence. He was doubtless sincere in his views and his daughters were all an honor to their education. He went to Ohio from Virginia, but did not long survive, his widow living several years after him.

Between him and his fellow minister, Joseph Cloud, the want of congeniality of sentiment was evident. Joseph was from one of the Carolinas, and imbued with some jealousy, which then as well as now had influence against those of a northern or eastern State. Joseph was rustic in appearance and home surroundings, while Roland Richards possessed more of the manner and habits of the Virginia gentleman. Of their ministry probably no fault could be found, each filling his allotment with true dignity, and being careful to mind his own calling. But in regard to business in the Society a difference of view was often found, accompanied with bluntness of expression. On one occasion Joseph gave his view of the subject before the meeting, at some length, and when he sat down Roland arose and sonorously asked, “And who is this that darkeneth counsel with words without knowledge?” to which Joseph quickly answered, “If I have darkened counsel do thou unfold it
Roland Richards has the distinction of being the first Quaker schoolmaster in the meeting school in Waynesville.
Roland Richards (b. October 29th, 1728 ~ d. May 21, 1815) son of Samuel, was the father of 15 children, 5 died in childhood, 3 boys survived and 7 girls survived. An examination of the Richards family will illustrate the inter-relationships among the large pioneering families and also the migration routes taken by early settlers.
The Richards family journey began from Philadelphia, Pa., then to Virginia, then to Ohio and then to Indiana. Roland Richards was married twice. His first wife was Mary Miles (b. October 25th, 1727 at Radnor, Delaware, Pennsylvania) (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. VI. (Virginia) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 604). They had two children together: Abijah Richards (b. May 23, 1753-d. March 1819) and Ebenezer Richards (b. July 18, 1754). Little is known about Ebenezer who died in 1775. He probably did not marry. Abijah Richards married Esther Daniel, Jr., the daughter of William and Esther Graham Daniel of Loudon Co., Va.) at Goose Creek Monthly Meeting, Va. on 3 mo. 29th. On 9th mo. 24th day, 1787 they moved their membership to South River Monthly Meeting in Virginia 1787 (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. VI (Virginia) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 695). Eventually Abijah and Esther settled in Columbiana County, Ohio, Middletown Monthly Meeting, via Westland Monthly Meeting in 1801. Their seven children were: Samuel, Esther, Abijah, Mary, Rowland and Eli (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. IV. (Ohio) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], pp. 55-56, 653).

Roland Richards married Lydia Townsend, daughter of Charles, on 9 mo. 8th 1763 and had 13 more children. Seven of the daughters married and moved west with their husbands:
1. Abigail, b. 10 mo. 7th 1764, married Ezekial Cleaver (7 mo. 4th 1787) and settled in Waynesville. Ezekial Cleaver of Frederick co., Va., the son of Ezekiel and Mary, later of Gwynedd, Montgomery Co., Pa, deceased, married at public Meeting at Crooked Run, Abigail Richards, daughter of Rowland and Lydia Richards of Frederick Co., Va. on 7 mo. 4th 1787. They had four children: Mary (1789), Abigail (1792), Ezekial (1794) and Peter (1796) (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. VI. (Virginia) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 593. Information about the marriage certificate of Ezekial and Abigail Cleaver can be found on (Frederick County, Virginia, Hopewell Friends History (database online). Orem, UT:, 1997. Original data: Joint committee of Hopewell Friends. Hopewell Friends History 1734-1934: Frederick County, Virginia: Records of Hopewell Monthly Meetings and Meetings Reporting to Hopewell. Strasburg, VA: Shenandoah Publishing House, 1936).

2. Samuel, b. 11 mo. 27th 1765 ~ d. 12th mo. 29th 1787

3. Elizabeth, b. 11 mo. 13th 1767 ~ d. 2 mo. 17th 1788

4. Susannah, b. 10 mo. 16th 1769 ~ d. 2 mo. 9th 1788

5. Eli, b. 9 mo. 16th 1771

6. Hannah, b. 1 mo. 31st 1774, married David Holloway (6 mo. 23rd 1771 ~ d.12 mo. 31st 1847) on 3 mo. 12th 1794 and settled in Waynesville. The following is taken from an article, “Miami Monthly Meeting, Part I” by Robert Hatton printed in the Miami-Gazette (March 15, 1876):
David Holloway (b. June 23rd, 1771 Stafford, Va.~ d. December 31st, 1847 in Richmond, Indiana) was his (Roland Richard’s) son-in-law, having married (March 12th, 1794 at Hopewell Monthly Meeting) his second daughter Hannah (b. January 31st, 1774 in Philadelphia), who was an excellent Friend. David had much of a consequential air about him, and in the earlier part of his time was tenacious of plainness, bringing his children to meeting, etc., and would close his store on meeting days. It is related of him that when suspenders were first brought about, his sons, then in their teens, procured some, which their father no sooner discovered, that he took them away and burned them. Subsequently, the youngsters procured flax and twisted it into a substitute. On this becoming known to David he destroyed them and reprimanded his children. This produced a dislike to the society and when they reached majority they left Friends and married out from among them. No doubt David was perfectly sincere in his views, as he never adopted the condemned suspenders in his own wardrobe. About the year 1815 he moved to Cincinnati and the general depression of the commercials affairs in 1819-20 added to some unfortunate endorsements resulted in the loss of most of the acquirements of years of active labor. In 1822 he removed to a farm in Indiana, about four miles east of Richmond, where he remained a few years; and after several other changes closed his life from a cancer. His very superior wife survived him several years.

Hannah and David Holloway had seven children: Dayton [sometimes spelled, Daten] (b. 1795), Lydia (1796), Margaret (1799), John (1801), Abigail (1803), Hannah (1807) and David P. Holloway (1809). David P. Holloway, the grandson of Roland Richards, was destined to be a Congressman, see:

7. Lydia (1), b. 3 mo 24th 1776 ~ d. 7 mo. 28th 1777

8. Townsend, b. 3 mo 25th 1778 ~ d. 3 mo. 5th 1788

9. Mary, b. 9 mo. 12th 1780, married William Mills, son of early settler James Mills who came to Waynesville with Abijah O’Neall from Bush River Monthly Meeting and settled in Waynesville. William Mills (d. 2 mo 2nd 1859) married Mary Richards (d. 3 mo. 6th 1837). They had 10 children: Elizabeth (1803), Rachel (1805), Isaac (1807), Roland R. (1809), James (1812), Lydia (1814), Deborah (1817), Franklin (1819) and twin girls, Ruthanna and Ruth (1820) (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. V. (Ohio) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 100. Mary Richards Mills (buried on 3 mo. 7th, 1837) and her son Franklin (buried on 2 mo. 21st 1837) are buried in the Hicksite Friends Cemetery in Waynesville, Fifth Row, Numbers 8 and 9.
10. Lydia (2), b. 10 mo. 18th 1782, married John Mullin (b. 4 mo. 7th 1752) on 10 mo. 9th 1799, his second marriage and settled in Waynesville. By his first wife, Catherine Haines, John Mullin had eleven children. By his second wife, Lydia Richards, he had one son Samuel Mullin who was born September 12th, 1800 in Frederick Co., Va. and died on February 28th, 1870 in Warren County, Ohio (Richard Haines and His Descendants: A Quaker Family of Burlington County, N.J. since 1682 by John Wesley Haine (Boyce, Va.: Carr), p. 2:74.

11. Sarah, b. 8 mo. 28th 1784, married Judah Faulke and eventually settled in Waynesville area. Judah Faulke, the son of Joshua and Hannah of Warren County, Ohio married at Miami Monthly Meeting, Sarah Richards, the daughter of Roland and Lydia Richards of Warren Co. on 6 mo. 15th 1808 (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. V. (Ohio) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], pp. 56 and 115. Judah and Sarah must have settled for a number of years in eastern Ohio or Western Pennsylvania since on 2 mo. 24th 1819 Judah and Sarah Faulke were received on certificate back to Miami Miami Monthly on 2 mo. 24th 1819, along with their children: Amelia, Cadwallader, Jesse Mary (male), Grace, Silas and John) (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. V. (Ohio) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 56. It is reported that Jesse M. Foulke, the son of Judah and Sarah of Highland Co., Ohio was married in Clear Creek Meetinghouse to Mary Baker, the daughter of Amasa and Sarah of Highland County, Ohio (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. V. (Ohio) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 302). The Faulkes had settled in Highland County.

12. Catherine (b. 7 mo. 30th 1786 ~ d. 7 mo. 24th 1860 in Warren Co., Ohio) married Isaac Mills (d. April 2nd, 1860 in Warren Co. Ohio), brother of William Mills (see above, who married Catherine's sister, Mary Richards) and settled in Waynesville. Isaac, son of James and Lydia Mills (who traveled to Waynesville from Bush River Monthly Meeting with Abijah O’Neall) of Warren Co., Ohio married Catherine Richards, the daughter of Roland and Lydia Richards of Warren Co., Ohio on 11 mo. 18th 1807 (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. V. (Ohio) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 100.) They became members of Springboro Monthly Meeting and from there transferred their membership to Duck Creek Monthly Meeting in Indiana on 10 mo. 30th 1827 (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. V. (Ohio) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 973). They had 7 children: Sarah, Eli, Samuel, Roland R., Noah, Mary Ann and Joel T. Mills. An unnamed child of Isaac Mills is buried in the Hicksite Friends Graveyard in Waynesville on 4 mo. 30th, 1842 Second Row, #47).
13. Sidney (sometimes spelled Sitnah), b. 10 mo. 5th 1789, married Jacob Paxon on 10 mo. 15th 1806 at Miami Monthly Meeting and settled in Waynesville (see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. V. (Ohio) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 108 and 115).