Friday, November 18, 2005

David & Judith Thornburgh Faulkner ~ Benefactors of Miami Monthly Meeting

David Faulkner (b. June 26, 1749 in Warrington, York, Pennsylvania ~
d. January 30, 1821 in Paintersville, Greene, Ohio)

Judith Thornburgh Faulkner (b. October 3, 1760 in Frederick Co., Virginia ~
d. April 23, 1843 in Greene Co., Ohio

They were married on March 4, 1778 in Frederick Co., Virginia at Middle Creek Meeting. They had nine children:

Martha Faulkner b: June 23, 1780 in Frederick Co., Virginia
Jane Faulkner b: Abt. 1781 in Frederick Co., Virginia
Jesse Faulkner b: April 24, 1785 in Frederick Co., Virginia
Phebe Faulkner b: Abt. 1787 in Frederick Co., Virginia
Thomas Faulkner b: Abt. 1790 in Frederick Co., Virginia
Mary Faulkner b: Abt. 1792 in Frederick Co., Virginia
Judith Faulkner b: Abt. 1795 in Frederick Co., Virginia
Solomon Faulkner b: March 26, 1799 in Frederick Co., Virginia
Rachel Faulkner b: June 2, 1809 in Waynesville, Warren Co., Ohio

Friends at Waynesville were unable to get title to their land for a meetinghouse and the first graveyard on Quaker Hill until 1808 when a patent for 208 acres was granted to David Faulkner. The deed is at the Warren County Courthouse in Lebanon, Deed Book #4, pp. 33-35. According to Judge Keys, “Heighway and Bane made sales by title bond of town lots and lands, but no title was confirmed here until January 1807 and then for some unknown reason, 208 acres (including the most of the old town plat), was patented to David Faulkner. Faulkner, in 1807, made title to a large number of lots here to different persons” (“Early Waynesville: As Described by Judge John W. Keys”, a series of articles published in the Miami-Gazette and the Western Star.

Perhaps David Faulkner eventually gained the title to this land due to John Cleve Symmes defaulting on his payments for the land. John Cleve Symmes purchased the land on credit and failed to make payments according to the terms of the contract and that failure produced considerable confusion with those who had purchased the land without title. David Faulkner and Judith Faulkner were two of the early members of Miami Monthly Meeting in Waynesville, Ohio. David and Judith were later associated with Center Monthly Meeting in Clinton County (The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. V. (Ohio) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 469.

It is reported in The History of Clinton County, Ohio (Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882), p. 491 that David Faulkner was the early proprietor of the land upon which Wilmington now stands. He never lived on that land. His son, Thomas, settled down in the northeast part of Wilmington. David Faulkner owned considerable land in Clinton County, 2,050 acres along Anderson Creek, a branch of Caesars Creek. The land patents can be found on the Bureau of Land Management database online (Ohio Land Records), Accession/Serial Number OH1900_.414, Doc. #3990 and Accession/Serial Number OH1900_.413, Doc. #3990. Both are dated August 8th, 1801.

David and Judith's home was in southern Greene County near Paintersville, approximately 15 miles northeast of Waynesville. It was closer for them to attend Center Monthly Meeting after it was established.

David Holloway ~ Early Quaker Pioneer, Merchant and Tavern Owner

The "Holloway Inn" much altered since its early days.

The following is taken from an article, “Miami Monthly Meeting, Part I” by Robert Hatton printed in the Miami-Gazette (March 15, 1876):
David Holloway (b. June 23rd, 1771 Stafford, Va.-d. December 31st, 1847 in Richmond, Indiana) was his (Roland Richards’) son-in-law, having married (March 12th, 1794 at Hopewell Monthly Meeting) his second daughter Hannah (b. January 31st, 1774 in Philadelphia), who was an excellent Friend. David had much of a consequential air about him, and in the earlier part of his time was tenacious of plainness, bringing his children to meeting, etc., and would close his store on meeting days. It is related of him that when suspenders were first brought about, his sons, then in their teens, procured some, which their father no sooner discovered, that he took them away and burned them. Subsequently, the youngsters procured flax and twisted it into a substitute. On this becoming known to David he destroyed them and reprimanded his children. This produced a dislike to the society and when they reached majority they left Friends and married from among them. No doubt David was perfectly sincere in his views, as he never adopted the condemned suspenders in his own wardrobe. About the year 1815 he moved to Cincinnati and the general depression of the commercials affairs in 1819-20 added to some unfortunate endorsements resulted in the loss of most of the acquirements of years of active labor. In 1822 he removed to a farm in Indiana, about four miles east of Richmond, where he remained a few years; and after several other changes closed his life from a cancer. His very superior wife survived him several years.

In the early days of Waynesville, Third Street was the main road on which businesses were located. David Holloway had his store at the corner of High and Third Streets. He also built a "house of entertainment", a tavern, "Holloway's Tavern", at the same crossroads. He bought the land from David Faulkner in 1807. In 1814 he sold this property to Joel Wright and moved to Cincinnati.

Hannah and David Holloway had seven children: Dayton [sometimes spelled, Daten] (b. 1795), Lydia (1796), Margaret (1799), John (1801), Abigail (1803), Hannah (1807) and David P. Holloway (1809). David P. Holloway, the grandson of Rowland Richards, was destined to be a Congressman from Indiana.

For more information about David P. Holloway see:

Ezekiel Cleaver ~ One of the Earliest Quaker Pioneers

According to Beer's 1882 History of Warren County, p. 580:
In the fall of that year (1801) Ezekiel Cleaver came here from Virginia, leaving his family at Brownsville, and put up a house at the crossing of Third and Miami Streets, on the east corner of said crossing in Waynesville, and, in the spring of 1802, moved here with his family. With him came John Mullen, Rowland Richards, David Holloway and others.
Miami Monthly Meeting of the Society of Friends was later established in Waynesville, Ohio, October 13, 1803, meeting on First Day (Sunday) and on Fourth Day (Wednesday). It embraced all territory north of the Ohio River and west of Hockhocking. The meeting for worship had first met in the log cabin of Ezekiel Cleaver. Because of the rapid growth of the Quaker community, Friends build a 30-foot square log cabin which would be the first meetinghouse and schoolhouse on Quaker Hill. It was located where the Red Brick meetinghouse now stands.
Ezekiel Cleaver (b. 7 mo. 4th 1787) was one of the founders of Miami Monthly Meeting. In Virginia he had wed one of the daughters of Quaker minister, Rowland Richards.
Ezekiel Cleaver of Frederick Co., Va., the son of Ezekiel and Mary, later of Gwynedd, Montgomery Co., Pa, deceased, married at public Meeting at Crooked Run, Abigail Richards, daughter of Rowland and Lydia Richards of Frederick Co., Va. on 7 mo. 4th 1787. They had four children:
  • Mary (1789)
  • Abigail (1792)
  • Ezekiel (1794)
  • Peter (1796)

(see, The Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Vol. VI. (Virginia) [Genealogical Publishing Company, 1994], p. 593.)

Information about the marriage certificate of Ezekial and Abigail Cleaver can also be found on (Frederick County, Virginia, Hopewell Friends History (database online). Orem, UT:, 1997. Original data: Joint committee of Hopewell Friends. Hopewell Friends History 1734-1934: Frederick County, Virginia: Records of Hopewell Monthly Meetings and Meetings Reporting to Hopewell. Strasburg, VA: Shenandoah Publishing House, 1936.
Ezekiel Cleaver is buried in the 1808 Friends graveyard, First row, #3, interment on September 23rd, 1832. His wife Abigail Richards Cleaver is also buried there: First row, #6, interment on February 3rd, 1833.
The Ezekiel Cleaver Papers, 1729-1895, are located in the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. They were a gift from Thomas and Elizabeth Foulke. This collection includes correspondence and miscellaneous papers of a Quaker family concerning the Hicksite/Orthodox controversy in Ohio, conditions of everyday life in Virginia and the Midwest, and observations on slavery and the use of tobacco. Also included is an account of Cleaver family births and deaths, 1729-1895.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Moses Hollingsworth ~ Builder

Moses W. Hollingsworth of Springboro was an architect and builder. He was the son of Joseph and Rhoda Whitacre Hollingsworth, born 5th mo. 17th day 1823. His father was a miller by trade and established with his brothers-in-law Whitacre Mills where Todd’s Fork enters the Little Miami River in 1832. The family was associated with Hopewell Preparative Meeting in Rochester (near Morrow, Ohio). Around 1850 the family moved to Harveysburg. The Quaker meetings in both Rochester and Harveysburg were preparative meetings of Miami Monthly Meeting in Waynesville. After the death of his father in 1853, Moses and his mother moved to Springboro. His sister Ruthanna lived with them after the death of her husband, Nathan Hunt. Moses never married.

Moses was a member of Miami Monthly Meeting in Waynesville and transferred his membership to Springboro Monthly Meeting on 11th mo. 20th day 1867. Since he was on the building committee for Miami Valley Institute, it is possible that he was the architect and contractor who built the main brick building and other buildings. There is no conclusive evidence for this, however. Moses Hollingsworth was an active Friend and served on many Quaker committees. In 1903 he was appointed a Director of The Farmer’s Bank of Springboro ( See, 1904 Blanche A. Riley Diary, Clearcreek Township, Warren County, Ohio (Lebanon, Ohio: Printed by the Warren County Genealogical Society, 1999), p. 73.)

HOLLINGSWORTH.~At the home of Lydia Wood, in Springboro, Ohio, Sixth month 16th, 1911, Moses W. Hollingsworth, in his 89th year. He was born near Rochester, Ohio, but had lived since 1857 in Springboro. He was a life-long and consistent member of the Society of Friends (Friends’ Intelligencer, Seventh month 1, 1911, p. 415).

A short death announcement was published in the Miami-Gazette on June 21, 1911. The funeral was held at the Springboro Monthly Meeting and he was buried in Rochester Preparative Meeting graveyard, near Morrow, Ohio. This old cemetery lies on the north side of Rt. 22/3 behind the old Quaker Meetinghouse in Rochester (Cemetery Vol. VI Warren County, Ohio Old Cemeteries from Eight Townships (Warren County Genealogical Society, 1987, p. 385). The meetinghouse is now a private residence.

Edward Furnas, Elihu Underwood and wife, Edwin Chandler, A. B. Chandler, Miss Belle Chandler of Dayton, attended the funeral at Springboro (Miami-Gazette, June 21, 1911).

Also see, Warren County, Ohio and Beyond by Dallas R. Bogan (Bowie, Maryland: Heritage Books, Inc., 1997), pp. 271-273,
Descendants of Valentine Hollingsworth, Sr. Socie... (Photograph taken of their gathering at The Mary L. Cook Public Library.)

Monday, November 14, 2005

Marcus Mote ~ Quaker Artist

Marcus Mote house outside of Waynesville
standing in ruins.

Marcus Mote (1817 ~ 1898), son of David and Miriam Mendenhall Mote, was born June 19, 1817 near West Milton, Ohio. Marcus was a fifth generation birthright American Quaker. His parents were members of West Branch Monthly Meeting of The Religious Society of Friends. Mote moved to the Waynesville, Ohio area in the late 1830s. He taught at the Turtle Creek School in Warren County, Ohio, just southeast of Waynesville in 1836 and 1837. At that time, he attended Miami Quarterly Meeting in Waynesville (Miami Monthly Meeting’s White Brick meetinghouse) where at one time he was clerk of the Meeting. Miami Monthly Meeting members protested his artwork. Quakers at that time were traditionally not schooled in the fine arts and suspicious of their frivolity. Such interest and vocations were considered “worldly” and “frivolous” and were not accepted by the religious group, which advocated plainness in all aspects of daily life. Mote’s talents and artwork almost got him disowned by the Meeting.

While teaching at Turtle Creek School, Mote was taken with Rhoda Steddan, one of his students, also a fifth generation birthright American Quaker. Marcus and Rhoda were married November 11, 1837 at the Orthodox Friends Meeting House at Waynesville (the Red Brick) before moving to West Milton where the first of their children were born.

Marcus MOTE married Rhoda STEDDOM, born the Eighth Month, 10th day, 1821. Their children were:
· Linus, born First Month, 28th day, 1840
· Samuel Steddom, born Ninth Month, 15th day, 1842
· Henry Davis, born Sixth Month, 24th day, 1847
· Susana Jane, born Seventh Month, 9th day, 1850
· Edwin L., born Twelfth Month, 31st day, 1855
· Edwin M., born Second Month, 18th day, 1857

The infants Edwin L. MOTE and his brother Edwin M. were buried in Turtle Creek Preparative Meetinghouse Cemetery a few miles south of Waynesville, Ohio on the dates given.

The couple returned to the Waynesville area with their family a few years later. They resided in a two-story brick home on the old Middletown Road near Turtle Creek Preparatiave Meeting House (see, Meetinghouses in Harveysburg: Grove & Harveysburg) in a neighborhood settled by Rhoda’s family. The house, which is in a dilapidated state, is located on the property of James Thornbury.

Marcus planned to use an unfinished room in the home for his studio and may have for a short period of time. However, most of his work centered in Lebanon, Ohio, Warren County seat, where he frequently painted portraits at The Golden Lamb Inn. He also painted in the surrounding villages while keeping Lebanon as a base for his artistic work. He also drew plans for buildings, made maps for Quaker Meetings in Ohio and Indiana (see, 1853 Map of Indiana Yearly Meeting by Marcus Mote), designed election posters and drew advertising pictures of plows, carriages and furniture for various businesses.

Marcus and Rhoda Mote moved their family from Waynesville to Richmond, Indiana December 26, 1866. They transferred their Quaker meeting certificates (Certificates of Removal) to Whitewater Friends Meeting. At Richmond, Mote opened an Academy of Design and continued painting portraits. Mote reopened his Lebanon, Ohio studio in May 1868. During his time in Warren County he painted at Waynesville, Lebanon, Springboro, Cincinnati, Miamisburg and Richmond, Indiana.

Marcus Mote died February 26, 1898 at Richmond, Indiana. His great-granddaughter, Mrs. Lena Irons, now deceased, was the last of his direct line to live in Warren County, Ohio.

Also see, (Mote’s Art: The Quaker and Richmond Heritage of Marcus Mote, Richmond Art Museum, Richmond, Indiana) and Marcus Mote and Eli Harvey: Two Quaker Artists from Southwest Ohio by Dr. Thomas Hamm, Dr. Mary Klei, Ms. Mickie Franer and Ms. Christine Hadley Snyder (Warren and Clinton County Historical Societies, 1992). There is also a large collection of Mote’s works at the Warren County Historical Society Museum in Lebanon, Ohio.

A large collection, "The Marcus Mote Collection. 1835-1970. FMS 5" is located in the Quaker Archive at Earlham College, Richmond, Indiana. The Mote Collection consists of diaries, notebooks, correspondence, and works by Mote, as well as research material on Mote gathered by former Earlham College Archivist Opal Thornburg.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Ruth Chandler ~ School Teacher and Matron of the Friends Boarding Home

Ruth (left) & her sister Elizabeth in front of the
Friends Boarding Home

Elizabeth & Ruth Chandler (on the right) in the
Matron's Office the Friends Boarding Home

Many people in Waynesville, Ohio still remember the Chandler sisters, Ruth and Elizabeth. Their parents were Edwin Chandler (October 3rd, 1849 ~ November 27th, 1924) and Sidney J. Pettit Chandler (1850 ~1934). They had three children: Ruth (b. February 10th, 1884 ~ d. August 25th, 1962), Elizabeth (October 29th, 1886 ~ December 20th, 1978) and Lewis W. (March 4, 1874 ~ d. January 7, 1952). Their uncle was Aaron B. Chandler.

Even though both sisters resided outside of Waynesville for many years living active and interesting lives, people today remember them as elderly maiden ladies and associate them with the 1905 Friends Boarding Home where they lived during their retirement. Ruth was the Matron of the Friends Boarding Home from 1944 till her death in 1962. Elizabeth, after her retirement from Hampton Institute in Virginia, moved to the Friend Home and became Ruth's assistant. Sadly, since this line of the Chandler family has died out with the death of Gertrude Chandler in 1997, many people do not realize how prominent the Chandlers were in Waynesville.

Elizabeth and Ruth were close sisters but their personalities were different. Ruth was never in administration and taught all of her career in Ohio. More quiet and deferring than Elizabeth, she was a well-respected member of the Waynesville community and the other towns she lived in during her career. She was noted for her intelligence and an excellent teacher of elementary children and honored for it. She had a sense of humor she was a steady presence in any organization. Elizabeth, although sickly as a child, was more outgoing and ambitious. Enthusiastic about learning, her fervor was infectious. Incredibly insightful and capable, she was a leader who walked the extra mile to strive for excellence within herself and in others. She pursued continual education for herself and her vita is extensive. During her career, she lived in various places in Ohio, Michigan and in Virginia. She retired a Professor of Education. Her career paralleled developments in increasing higher education for teachers. Because of higher education and wider living experience, Elizabeth had a broader view of life.

Ruth and Elizabeth had experience many teaching methods as children and many teacher-training styles as adults. As children within their family circle progressive minded teachers surrounded them. As students they experienced the one-room district schoolhouse across the road from the Chandler farm known as the Chandler School. As students they took the Boxwell Exam of the Ohio school system and graduated from 8th grade with the promise of a free high school education. After graduating from Waynesville High School and while attending the National Normal University in Lebanon and attaining their teaching licenses, they both taught in the local district one-room schools (Wayne and Clearcreek Townships and Lytle school system). They actually taught together in the Lytle and Greenfield, Ohio school systems. They both taught in the newly consolidated school systems of Ohio from 1915 on. Elizabeth exhibited great ability at administrative skills. Elizabeth rose to be director of a number of Normal Schools in Ohio and taught at numerous summer normal institutes during her career. When the old Normal Schools for teacher training were being transformed into teacher colleges, Elizabeth moved up to college and graduate levels of education. Both sisters were perpetual students and consummate teachers. They lived during the years when American education changed from being non-professional or semi-professional with a focus on rote learning to being professional with a focus on the child and his/her family and life.

In 1925, an anonymous author penned the following descriptions of Ruth and Elizabeth, graduates of Waynesville Unity High School in a series of articles entitled “A Short Resume of the Characteristics of Each and Every Graduate of the Waynesville Schools (Miami-Gazette October 7th and October 14th, 1925):

RUTH CHANDLER (Class of 1900): She seems to be able to find, create and cultivate a ready soil in which to plant the seed of understanding in the minds of her students; her system, aim and hopes are of a high order. She also believes in absolute cooperation between parents and teachers.

ELIZABETH CHANDLER (Class of 1904): Let us strive in our community to have a moral and religious awakening, a resurrection in our schools, making them a more constructive factor for good in the lives of our boys and girls, helping them to solve the more important problems in life, giving them a larger vision, a greater inspiration and power for actual service for good.

Clearly, Ruth and her sister Elizabeth Chandler were excellent teachers in their fields and the Miami-Gazette newspaper of Waynesville delighted in documenting their accomplishments.

"Ruthie", was already “a winsome little school marm” at the age of eighteen (Miami-Gazette, December 4, 1901) who was teaching very successfully at the Wayne Township District School in District #1 named Red Oak School. She taught there for two years before being contracted to teach at another Wayne Township District School, the Crosswick School (Miami-Gazette, July 8, 1903). The following report is taken from the Miami-Gazette (April 29, 1903) which clearly depicts the life of a “school Marm”:

Miss Ruth Chandler last Friday closed the second year of successful teaching at Red Oak School. A large number of patrons and friends of the school gathered in the morning and at noon enjoyed a picnic dinner together, after which a very fine literary and musical program was presented by the pupils, much to the pleasure of all present. Mrs. John Lamar, who had taken her Gramophone to the school house, delighted the audience with a large number of selections, many of them being the latest minstrel songs. Miss Chandler, at the beginning of the term, offered a prize to the pupil who, at the close, had been neither absent nor tardy, and was most happy to present a book to each of five pupils for this praiseworthy punctuality.

In September of 1904 Ruth Chandler chose not to be assigned to teach at one of the local district one-room schoolhouses. Instead she and her sister Elizabeth both entered the National Normal University at Lebanon, Monday, where they will follow a course of study during the fall and winter (Miami-Gazette, September 7, 1904).

Ruth Chandler’s students and their parents expressed their regard for her in a farewell surprise party at the end of 1903-1904 school year. On May 4, 1904 the Miami-Gazette reported that

the surprise was well arranged and carried out. Mrs. Evans, who lives across the road from the schoolhouse, invited Miss. Chandler to take dinner at her house. This invitation was given in order that the surprise, which was planned, might be more complete and unexpected, for about noon thirty or forty friends drove up to the school to spend the remainder of the day. They brought with them baskets filled with good things for a delicious picnic dinner, which everyone enjoyed. In the afternoon there was a program rendered by the children appropriate to the closing day. The Spring Branch school has an enrollment of about thirty pupils the past year, and the school has been very successful.

In 1911 Ruth started teaching in the Selma, Ohio school system. It is reported in the Miami-Gazette on May 15, 1917: RE-ELECTED IN SELMA SCHOOLS: Miss Ruth Chandler has been re-elected Primary teacher at the Selma Centralized Schools at a salary of $80.00 per month. This is the sixth year for Miss Chandler in the Selma schools and her advancement is well deserved.

The Miami-Gazette reported on January 23, 1918 that Miss Ruth Chandler, who has been teaching in the Selma Schools for a number of years, passed the examination at Columbus recently and was awarded a life certificate. We congratulate the young lady on her good fortune.

Ruth, who for a number of years had been teaching at Selma, was appointed as a teacher in the Greenfield schools. The following is taken from the “Greenfield Republican”: “Miss Chandler is a graduate of the National Normal University and is a teacher of wide experience. She will be assigned to the Primary Department and will also act as a critic teacher to the Normal School”. Miss Elizabeth Chandler is the director of the Highland County Normal and Supervisor to the Elementary school at the same place (Miami-Gazette, May 12, 1926).

Misses Elizabeth and Ruth Chandler, who have been attending summer school at the University of Cincinnati, returned home Saturday (Miami-Gazette, August 31, 1927).

The Chandler family were very active in the local Farmers' Club. Edwin Chandler was the president of this organiation in 1917. The local newspaper was peppered with many references to their activities. For example, the Miami-Gazette reported on July 18, 1917 the activities of the Farmers’ Club meeting that was held at the Chandler homestead, which included Miss Ruth Chandler reading an excellent paper prepared by Miss Elizabeth Chandler. It dealt with our present conditions in a thoughtful way, bringing out the idea that the unjust settlement of national differences caused the present war. During a July meeting of the Farmer’s Club. . . Ruth Chandler read a short paper on the modern reading lessons and quoted high authority as saying we were letting imagination have too full sway in our children’s education (Miami-Gazette, July 20, 1921). At this same meeting her father, Edwin, opened the discussion on “Community Threshing”.

Ruth Chandler was the secretary of Miami Quarterly Meeting from the early 1920s till the time of her death in 1962. She inherited the job, so-to-speak, from her father Edwin who was the clerk of Miami Quarterly Meeting after the death of his brother Aaron B., who held that office, in 1915 and many years before.

Ruth Chandler had become an active member of the New Century Club of Waynesville during the 1944-45 year. This was the year of her retirement from the Cedarville School system where she had taught sixth grade for many years. Every year each member was assigned a topic that she would report on at their monthly meetings. From 1945 on Ruth reported on Recent Books and News of Education. The club rotated the duties of hosting the meeting (either in their homes or in a local restaurant) and planning the program for each monthly meeting. During the year of 1948-1949, Ruth was the group’s secretary. During the 1952-1953 year, Ruth was the President.

From 1948 until her death Ruth Chandler had been a faithful member of the Board of Trustees of The Wayne Township Library (later renamed The Mary L. Cook Public Library). On September 28, 1950 she accepted the position of Secretary. On December 29, 1960 Ruth became the First Vice-President of the Library Board. Upon her death the Board wrote the following it its minutes: The board voted unanimously to embody in the minutes a resolution recognizing and appreciating the efforts of Miss Ruth Chandler for her long tenure on the board; sixteen years as secretary, and most recently as Vice-President. She brought enthusiasm, a delightful sense of humor and faithful care to every task. She will be sorely missed (Record Book [Minutes of the Board] June, 1958-September 1967, p. 119).

While on their way to the Yearly Meeting in Wilmington on Saturday, August 25, 1962, both Ruth Chandler, 78, and Dr. Emma Holloway, 88, were killed in a severe three-car automobile accident at the intersection of US 42 and SR 73 in Waynesville. Also in the car with Miss Chandler and Dr. Holloway were the driver Elizabeth Chandler, 76, Mrs. Nellie Bunnell, 80, Mabel Bursk, 79, and Maria Elbon, 76, all residents of the Friends Boarding Home. They were taken to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton and all recovered from minor injuries. The other two drivers, P. C. Zink, 78, along with his wife Mary of Lebanon, and Mrs. Carol Pennington, 44, of Middletown were not injured. Funeral services for Ruth Chandler and Dr. Holloway were held Tuesday, August 28 at the Friends Meetinghouse in Waynesville at 2 PM and 10 AM. Ruth Chandler was buried in Miami Cemetery in Corwin. Dr. Emma Holloway, a pioneer woman doctor from Indiana, was taken to North Manchester, Indian for burial at 1:30 PM on Wednesday, August 29, 1962. She had boarded at Friends Boarding Home since October, 1944. (The Western Star, Thursday, Aug. 20, 1962).

To learn more about The 1905 Friends Boarding Home see:

To learn more about The Mary L. Cook Public Library see:
Dr. Mary Leah Cook 1869-1964

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Elizabeth B. Moore ~ Quaker Minister

The Obituary of
Elizabeth B. Moore
9th mo. 30th, 1849 ~ 4th mo. 17th, 1913

Elizabeth B. Moore, born 9th mo. 30th 1849, died 4th mo. 17th, 1913, aged 63 years, 5 months and 18 days. She was born at the home of her grandfather, David Brown, now owned and resided upon by S. Ella Michener and family.

This David Brown, when twenty years of age came from New Jersey with his parents, Asher and Mary (Ward) Brown, with eight brothers and sisters and settled on this farm in 1804.

When Elizabeth was but 12 days old her mother, Sarah (Brown) Moore passsed to the higher life, so that she never realized the impress and devotion of a loving mother.

In 1852 her father, Samuel B. Moore, remarried and moved to the west. Left as she was in the care of her grandparents and a maiden aunt, Elizabeth W(ilkins). Brown, she grew to womanhood uner the atmosphere of consistent Friends, who faithfully taught her the principles of love to God, Justice and right living toward her fellow beings. Thus when at the age of 39 years, she in turn was qualified to fiathfully devote her Christian fidelity to her beloved aunt, and repay her in part, at least, by nursing her through a protracted illness.

After the year 1883, Elizabeth B. Moore was left without any relatives in this place nearer than first cousin, but not without many devoted friends in and about Waynesville, Ohio, as well as among her religious associates in other parts of Ohio in and in Indiana. So much was she beloved by many that her willing service was often sought in time of sickness and bereavement. Much of her life was given to the care of the afflicted whom she tired to comfort in their declining years. Having never married she was more at liberty to bestow her kindness, helpfulness and devotion to her friends.

Her school education was obtained in the Waynesville village schools, and partly in a private school, taught in the little brick house on the Friend's ground, wherein she afterword taught for a short time. She was a faithful worshiper at the religious services of her life long society, in which she held many offices of trust and responsibility, being the treasurer of Miami Monthly Meeting, and one of its Elders at aathe time of her death.

She was an ardent temperance worker, giving her time and faithful service to the local Women's Christian Temperance Union, which organization, during her last illness sent her a beautiful floral spray as a slight token of regard and sympathy.

She was one of the prime movers and was devoted to the welfare of the Friends Boarding Home , having been of its Trustees from the beginning. Thus was her life given to the service of others. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these , my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
In this Home she spent the last nine weeks of her earthly pilgrimage, being comforted by her friends until the language came, "It is enough, come up higher."

1 Asher Brown Sr. b: 11 SEP 1760 d: 02 MAR 1832 (Asher Brown had eleven other children after David)
+ Mary Ward b: 12 FEB 1763 d: 04 MAY 1851
2 David Brown b: 26 SEP 1784 d: 05 OCT 1862
+ Mary Wilkins b: 27 OCT 1769 d: 15 OCT 1857
3 Elizabeth Wilkins Brown b: 26 DEC 1809 d: 20 MAY 1888 (Never married)
3 Sarah Brown b: 11 MAY 1813 d: 12 OCT 1849
+ Samuel B. Moore
4 Elizabeth B. Moore (Never married)

According to Clarkson Butterworth in his List, Nearly or Quite Complete of Changes of Membership in Miami Monthly Meeting and some other Matters, from 10.13.1803-5.24.1843 compiled in 1904 Elizabeth B. Moore and Elizabeth Davis, the widow of David Davis lived together in Elizabeth's house which was located on the southwest corner of High and Third Streets.
The Elizabeth B. Moore House~
Later owned by the Chandler family.

Howell and Emma Warner Pierce ~ The Second Couple to be Superintendent and Matron of the Friends Boarding Home

The author of this obituary does not explain that the Howells were the superintendent and matron of the Friends Boarding Home twice. Thier first tenure was form 1915 to 1925, after the death of Aaron B. Chandler. Their second tenure was after the death of Alonzo S. Curl, from 1933-1938. For more details about the tenure at the Friends Boarding Home, see,
The Miami Gazette, Thursday, September 1, 1938

Mrs. Howell Peirce, who has been matron of the Friend’s Home for the past fifteen years, has retired. Mr. Peirce, acting as superintendent, served with her until his death three years ago. Mrs. Peirce celebrated her eightieth birthday last April. During her long period of service in this community, she has endeared herself not only to her family, as she called the members of the Home, but to the entire community. She possesses one of those charming personalities which enable her to meet people and place them at friendly ease. She radiates vitality which may well be the envy of all. At her last dinner at the Home, Monday evening, a large cake graced the table which bore the inscription, “Fifteen Years of Loving Service”. The ladies of the Home presented her with a beautiful bouquet of mixed flowers. Mrs. Peirce is planning to spend this winter with her son, Raymond, and family of Toledo. Afterwards she will make her home with her sister and husband, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Calvert, at the ancestral home near Selma. Foster and Margaretta Heacock are acting as superintendent and matron of the Home.
The Howells had two children:
  • Warner ~ 1879
  • Raymond ~ b. 1883
  • Bertha E. ~ b. 1891

From Census Records we know that Howell had been a farmer and then a salesman. In 1910 the family was living in Toledo, Ohio.

Alonzo S. & Olive M. Curl ~ Fourth Couple to be Superintendent & Matron of the Friends Boarding Home


May 11, 1933 Western Star
Alonzo Curl Suffers Fatal
Injuries In Fall At

His mind evidently temporarily deranged by several weeks of intense suffering, Alonzo Curl, superintendent of the Friends Home at Waynesville jumped from a window of his apartment
at that place shortly before midnight Monday suffering injuries that resulted in his death within a few minutes. According to a story of one of the witnesses to the tragedy, Mrs. Curl had called Marshal C. P. Joy and other friends to assist the physician in administering a sedative when her husband became violently delirious at about 11 o’clock. With this accomplished, Mr. Curl appeared to be somewhat easier but he suddenly rushed to an open window and jumped, falling a distance of about 15 feet. He struck a concrete walk head first and although assistance was immediately rushed to the injured man, he lived but a few minutes. It is believed that a fractured skull was the cause of death. Funeral services were held at the A. H. Stubbs funeral parlors on Wednesday afternoon, the Rev. G. C. Dibert officiating. Interment was made at Wilmington. Mr. Curl, who was about 65 years of age, was a native of Clinton County having spent most of his life in the vicinity of Wilmington and later at Clarksville. He came to Waynesville in September, 1930 to assume the superintendency of the Friends Home. His widow, Mrs. Olive Curl, survives.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Seth Elisha Furnas, Sr. ~ President Emeritus of the Board of Trustees of the Friends Home, Inc.

Seth Elisha Furnas, Sr. (b. December 4, 1889-d. January 16, 1974) was the son of Edwin S. (Satterthwaite) and Harriet Emma (Underwood) Furnas. Edwin S. Furnas was the youngest son of Davis Furnas.

Seth Sr. was a successful farmer, first on the Furnas Homestead Northeast of Corwin, Ohio, and after 1923, on his farm located in Montgomery County on Social Row Road. He married Sara Minerva Hill on June 9, 1920. They had two children: Sara Corinne [Furnas] Cook and Seth Elisha Furnas, Jr.

Seth E. Furnas, Sr. served on the boards of directors of the Waynesville National Bank and the Miami Cemetery Association. He was a member of the Waynesville Farmers Club for many years and was president for two years. He was the president of the Warren County Historical Society for two years. He served as the president of The Friends Boarding Home for many years. Upon his death on January 16, 1974, the Board of Directors of Friends Home, Inc. made this statement:

The Trustees of the Friends Home, Inc. records with sorrow the death of its President Emeritus, Seth E. Furnas Sr. on January 16, 1974. Seth Furnas Sr. was a Friend who gave much of his life to the Religious Society of Friends as teacher, minister, historian and genealogist and in many other ways in Miami Monthly Meeting and Indiana yearly Meeting, F.G.C. We especially remember Seth E. Furnas Sr. for the 53 years he served as a member of the Board of the Friends Home, Inc. He became a member of the Board in 1916 when the Corporation was only 12 years old. When he retired from the Board in 1969 he was named President Emeritus after serving faithfully for years as its President. During those years of faithful service to the Friends Home, he helped establish for it a reputation of excellence, which was recognized by many, including some Friends who made this Corporation a beneficiary of their will. It was therefore, as a result of these gifts, that this Board has been given the wonderful opportunity to expand the services of the Friends Home to more people and in new ways. His interest in this Home was an example to all Board members and trustees who follow him to give generously of ourselves to the growth and continuance of that to which he so willingly gave (Minutes of the Board of Trustees of the Friends Home, Inc, January 25, 1974).

Matilda Jane Downing Underwood ~ Quaker Minister

Matilda's novel, Blue Belle of the Forest.
Published in1919.

Matilda Jane Downing Underwood (b. April 10th, 1851 in Baldeagle Valley, Centre County, Pa. ~ d. March 25th, 1932) was the much younger and vivacious wife of Zephaniah Underwood (b. November 10th, 1820 in Columbus, Ohio ~ d. April 17th, 1900). He was 50 years old and she was only 20 when they married on December 28, 1871. They had two sons and two daughters: Ruth Anna, Zephaniah, Jr. (Zephie), Joseph Miles and Jane Eva. Zephaniah was a well-to-do fruit farmer. He owned 78 acres in Warren County and 420 acres in Chester Township of Clinton County. One hundred of those acres were orchards. He was also the president of the Southern Railroad Company.

The Underwoods were steadfast Hicksite Quaker involved in Miami Monthly Meeting (attending meeting at the Harveysburg Preparative Meeting of Miami Monthly Meeting, Hicksite, as well as meeting in the White Brick Meetinghouse in Waynesville, see THE QUAKER MEETINGHOUSES IN HARVEYSBURG, OHIO), Miami Quarterly Meeting and Indiana Yearly Meeting. From 1885 on Matilda was an active minister in the Society of Friends. Matilda often visited other Meetings as a traveling minister. Matilda and Zephaniah were also loyal members of the W.C.T.U. (The Women’s Christian Temperance Union).

The The Underwood homes and farms can still be seen today between Harveysburg and Wilmington, Ohio on State Route 73 Zephaniah built “Orchard Home” (a Victorian house with a tower) to ease the memory of loosing their daughter, Olive (March 23, 1881-October 27, 1882), who had died in the old Federal brick farm house near Jonah's Run Baptist Church. Orchard Home was state-of-the-art when it was build. It had a large storage tank on the second floor and a network of pipes for gravity flow of the water into the kitchen and a bathroom with bathtub and lavatory. When Zephaniah died in 1900, Aaron B. Chandler and Clarkson Butterworth helped settle the estate. Clarkson Butterworth had been a witness to his Will. After the death of Zephaniah in 1900, Matilda then married his youngest brother Elihu Underwood.

Matilda’s parents were Jacob and Jane Underwood Downing. Jane Underwood Downing was the first cousin to Zephaniah, Matilda’s first husband. Zephaniah had offered his widowed cousin Jane and her children a place to live in exchange for work. So, they moved west. Matilda’s mother, Jane, was a Friend who wore the traditional Quaker dress until her death in 1906. Jacob, her father, had been an artist, an unusual vocation for a Friend at that time. Matilda also had a precocious talent. She wrote the book, Blue Bell of the Forest: A Story of Olden Times, In the Midwest (see above). She also wrote her Autobiography, and a variety of poems and other short works. Matilda’s brother, Joseph J. Downing was a photographer in Waynesville and Xenia. He made his home in Xenia, Ohio. Matilda died in 1932 almost 81 years of age. She died in the home of her daughter, Ruth Anna Tomlinson, wife of Curtis Tomlinson.

Also see, Matilda Underwood and the Underwood Reunion in 1930, to see a photograph of Matilda.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Samuel Reeder Battin ~ Leader of Green Plain Monthly Meeting

Samuel R. Battin (March 3, 1829 ~ Febrary 2, 1916) of Selma, Ohio (Clark County) was a leader in Green Plain Meetinghouses (Hicksite). He was the president of the Friends Boarding Home in Waynesville from 1905 till his death in 1915. He was also president of the Clark County Mutual Insurance Association.
Samuel R. Battin was born in Columbiana County, Ohio. He was married twice, once to Lydia Ann Winder who died on December 24th, 1864 in Columbiana County. His second marriage was to Emily T. According to Hinshaw's Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy, Volume V, p. 947 , On 7th mo. 15, 1874 "Samuel R. Battin (Battan) & w, Emely T., & ch, Orlando G., Kersy R. & Martha Alma, rocf (received certifical from) Salem MM., Ohio, dtd 1874.6.25".

Peirce J. Cadwallader ~ Quaker Lawyer

Peirce J. Cadwallader

According to Clarkson Butterworth in his Catalogue of the Members of Miami Monthly Meeting, 7th Month 1897:

Cadwallader, Peirce J., b. 1853.12.27. Address, business office, Johnston Building, Cincinnati, Ohio. Is a practicing lawyer. His wife was Ella Bacon. She and her children are not members. His parents were Andrew W. and Esther Peirce Cadwallader, herein Catalogued.

Andrew W. "is the oldest living son of Jonah and Pricsilla (Whitacre) Cadwallader whose home was on Todds Fork two miles above Morrow. Esther was the daughter of Richard and Mary (Fallis) Peirce last of Wilmington, Ohio". Clarkson also notes that Andrew and Esther had moved to Chicago.

A more detailed account of the family is given in the History of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, Ohio, Their Past and Present (Cincinnati, Ohio: S. B. Nelson & Co., J. M Runk, 1894), p. 600-601:

PEIRCE J. CADWALLADER, attorney at law, was born December 27, 1853, in Warren County, Ohio, of Quaker lineage, his ancestors having been members of the Society of Friends for six generations. He is a son of Andrew Whitacre and Esther Peirce Cadwallader, now residents of Chicago, Ill., the former of whom was a successful wool merchant in Warren County prior to his removal to Chicago. Jonah Cadwallader, grandfather of subject, came to Cincinnati from Virginia, in 1812, on horseback, and was one of the original subscribers to the fund for the purchase of the lot and the erecting of a Friends Meeting house, which is still owned an occupied by the Society of Friends on Fifth Street, west of Central Avenue. The great grandfather, Robert Whitacre, was one of the original committee selected by Miami Quarterly Meeting in 1813 to establish a Friends Meeting in Cincinati. The grandfather, after engaging in business in Cincinnati for a time, moved to Warren County, Ohio, where he purchased eight sections of land and engaged in farming, his residence being the first brick house erected in that part of the country, and which is now occupied by one of his sons.

The mother of subject is a duaghter of Richard Peirce, who came to Cincinnati from Delaware in 1812, journeying down the river on a flatboat from Pittsburgh. He remained in Cincinnati only for a short time, and then moved to Clinton County, Ohio, whre he engaged successfully in the fur hat manufacturing business.

The subject of this sketch spent his boyhood days on a farm in Warren County, and attended the district school. In 1870 he came to Cincinnati, and in 1874 was graduated from Chickering Institute with the honors of his class. He pursued the study of law in the office of Lincoln, Smith and Stevens, was graduated from Cincinnti Law School in 1878, and has since been engaged in the practice of law in Cincinnati.

On January 26, 1882, he was married to Ella L. Bacon, daughter of Richard Seely Bacon, the founder of Bacon's Business College in Cincinnati, and also of Bacon's Business College in Madison , Wis. His wife is the granddaugher of Thomas Harley Johnson, who came to Cincinnati in 1829, and for a long time was one of its prominent and successful merchants. Her great-grandfather was Robert Reiley, who came to Hamilton County when the village was known as Losantiville. He was a contracting builder, and erected many of the buildings in the village of Losantiville, and afterward in the town of Cincinnati, several of which are still standing in a good state of preservation, and among them may be mentioned the lower markethouse and the Kilgour residence, now the United States Marine Hospital. He had the contract for laying the first water mains in Cincinnati, which were construced of logs having a three-inch hole bored through the center. Here great-great-grandfather, John Reiley, when only eighteen years of age, enlisted in the Continental army, and served for three years, until he was physically disabled by a rifle ball. He was at Valley Forge and fought at Trenton, Saratoga, besides in several minor battles. Mr. and Mrs. Cadwallder and their children, Richard Bacon, and Louise, reside on McMillan Street, Mount Auburn. The family attend the Presbyterian Chruch.

It is not surprising that Clarkson Butterworth, in his efforts to raise funds for the Friends Boarding Home in Waynesville, would contact Peirce J. Cadwallader for a donation. He maintained his membership in Miami Monthly Meeting and had many family connections in Warren and Clinton Counties.

Edwin Chandler ~ Another Notable Chandler

Edwin Chandler (October 3rd, 1849 ~ November 27th, 1924 [Death Certificate #602, Volume # 4597]) was the brother of Aaron B. Chandler and John T. Chandler and the father of Elizabeth, Ruth and Lewis W. Chandler. Edwin was a successful general farmer and leader in the local Grange. He also started a farmers' cooperative in the local community to share large farming equipment. He was president of the Wayne Township Farmer's Club in 1916. By all the accounts found in the Minutes of the Farmer's Club, Edwin, Sidney, his wife, and his children all were active participants in this club. Like his brother Aaron B. Chandler, he was civic minded and served as Trustee of Wayne Township on the Republican ticket (Memoirs of the Miami Valley, Vol. III [Chicago: Robert O. Law Co., 1919], p. 56). The Miami~Gazette reported that he was elected Supervisor of District #7 on April 7, 1875. He was elected to the same position on April 5th, 1880 and April 3rd, 1882 (see, Wayne Township-Warren County Records). His new public trust was put to the test when a bridge washed out in his district:

The new bridge across Beech Run, near the Chandler district Schoolhouse washed out in the storm last Friday. The wings were not wide enough and the water cut in behind the abutments and washed them out. Ed. Chandler has the contract for rebuilding this bridge (Miami~Gazette, August 4, 1875).

Generations of Chandlers served on the Township School Board. This would include old Aaron Chandler, his son David, and Aaron's grandsons, Aaron B. and Edwin Chandler, who were quite involved on the Township School Board that governed the district one-room schoolhouses. It was customary for the Township School Board to meet twice a year with all the directors of the sub-districts of Wayne Township in attendance. Board members were elected to office. Each district had a director and a clerk. The following information is taken from a long series of articles in The Miami-Gazette entitled The Little Red District School as it Existed in Wayne Township for Year by The Hoosier. The anonymous author collected his information from the old ledgers of the Township School Board.

  • Aaron Chandler began his tenure in office as a board member on April 11, 1849.
  • David Chandler became the director of District #3 on April 4, 1860
  • Edwin Chandler became the director of District #3 on April 20, 1874.
  • Two years after Aaron B. Chandler had bought College Hill Farm, a petition was placed before the school board to divide district #5. The petition asked that one of the new schoolhouses be built on the southwest corner of Aaron B.'s property. He was paid $25o.00 for the land and the school, College Hill School, was built. It stood half way between Waynesville and Mt. Holly. It was brick built by M. C. Darbyshire for $1,130.00. The two schools that were built during this re-structuring of Districtsupersedededed the older Roselawn schoolhouse, which was located on the Shaner farm at Crosswick (previously the Joseph Haines farm).

The District #3 school was the Chandler Schoolhouse across from the Chandler homestead. Between April and September of 1875 an unfortunate controversy arose over the purchase of new school seats. Edwin Chandler was the chairman of the investigating committee that examined the contract between N. S. Irwin, the agent for the new school furniture, and the clerks of Districts 1 and 11. One of the board members was expelled after the investigation. It was said of Edwin Chandler at that time that he was a firm, yet kindly, adherent to the principles of right and justice as he saw them.

Edwin's father, David and his second wife, Sarah Jane, had been the Superintendent and Matron of Miami Valley Institute established by Indiana Yearly Meeting (Hicksite). Edwin ("Eddie" as he like to be called) and his bride, Sidney, were married on the campus of Miami Valley Institute on September 6th, 1871 by Emmor Baily, Justice of the Peace. Quite an appropriate place for them to marry surrounded by a family so interested in education. Edwin's two daughters, Ruth and Elizabeth would become notabale teachers. David, Aaron B. and Edwin had been teachers in the local schools, too. Edwin's wife Sidney was also a teacher.

Edwin Chandler was an intial member of the Friends Boarding Home and after the death of his brother, Aaron B., he became the vice-president of the Board of the Friends Home and then shortly afterwards the president. When he retired from the farm, he moved into Waynesville after the family bought the Elizabeth B. Moore house which is located a block east of the White Brick Quaker meetinghouse on Quaker Hill. It became known as the Chandler house. His daughter Ruth would, after a distinguished teaching career, become the Matron of the Friends Boarding Home in the 1940s and 1950s.

In the mid-1870s Edwin had ventured into a business venture with Nerr Brown. On December 20, 1876 the following ad appeared in the Miami-Gazette:

NERR BROWN & ED. CHANDLER. FLOUR & FEED STORE. BROWN & CHANDLER. SUCCESSORS TO JOHN E. TAYLOR. Respectfully announce that they are in full swing at the old stand with a constant supply of the best: Flour, Buckwheat, Corn meal, Unbolted Flour, Potatoes and Feed of all Kinds which they sell at the lowest quotations.

Edwin Chandler stayed in the business only up to mid-March of 1877. On Wednesday March 14, 1877 it was announced in the Miami-Gazette that "Ed Chandler retired to rural life. We are sorry to loose him". After this announcement only Nerr Brown is mentioned in the ad for the Flour & Feed Store.

J. Lindley and Georgia Frame Mendenhall ~ Superintendent and Matron of the Friends Boarding Home

J. Lindley & Georgia Mendenhall were the third team of
Superintendent & Matron to serve the Friends Boarding Home.

Both J. Lindley Mendenhall and Georgia Frame were actively involved in the inception, creation and continuance of the Friends Boarding Home in Waynesville. They are on the original list of members of the Friends Boarding Home dated June 1904. Both were single when they began their service, but like Aaron B. Chandler and Lydia Ann Conard (the first superintendent and matron) they married and then worked as a team at the Home. The Frame and Mendenhall families were both originally from eastern Ohio and settled in the Waynesville area.

According to Clarkson Butterworth in his Catalogue of Members of Miami Monthly Meeting, 7th mo. 1897:

J. Lindley Mendenhall and Georgiana Frame were married at Franklin Packers', George School, Pennsylvania, 10-27-1907 and live on Wm. T. Frames farm just above Corwin, Ohio. (W. T. Frame haveing gone to California to live with his uncle John Yocum and wife). Said J. L. M. is son of Joseph (deceased) and Mary Mendenhall ~ she sister of Gaby and Thomas Thorpe. Our monthly meeting (Miami) held 1 mo. 22nd, 1908 accepted a Certificate for him from . . .
After they married at the George School, Pa., they returned to Dayton and settled at Diamond Hill Farm outside Corwin to run her father’s business while he was in California for a year. Lindley bought the Captain William Rion Hoel farm on Clarksville Road in 1907. He became a very prosperous farmer and fruit grower. Mr. & Mrs. Mendenhall were Superintendent and Matron of Friends Board Home for five years. They served in other capacities, too; he on the Board of Trustees as treasurer and she as secretary. Georgia entered the Home as a boarder on July 15, 1942 after her husband’s death in 1941. She died there on September 23, 1946. They were the last couple to be buried in the old Friends Cemetery in Waynesville across from the White Brick Meetinghouse. They were laid to rest in Row 13, lot numbers 25 and 26.

The following is taken from Memoirs of the Miami Valley, Volume III (Chicago: Robert O. Law Company, 1919), pp. 150-151:

J. Lindley Mendenhall, one of the prosperous general farmers of Warren County, owns and operates a valuable farm of 100 acres about two miles from Waynesville on the Waynesville and Clarksville Pike. He was born in Morgan County, O., in 1869, and has been a resident of Warren County since 1907, as in that year he came to this locality and bought his present farm. It is in a high state of cultivation, and he is further improving it with each year.

In 1907 J. Lindley Mendenhall was married to Georgie Frame, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Frame, natives of Eastern Ohio. Born and bred a member of the Society of Friends, J. Lindley Mendenhall has taken an active part in the work of the Quakers in this locality, and is now a member of the board of control and treasurer of the Friends Boarding Home, which was founded in 1905 in Waynesville, having been elected to these offices in 1913. Mrs. Mendenhall is the efficient secretary of the Home, having been elected to the office in 1904 and which office she is still holding.

This Home is intended for the aged and homeless Quakers, and is a charity maintained by donations from the Society of Friends.

Liberal in his political views, J. Lindley Mendenhall has never bound himself by party ties, but votes as his conscience dictates. A friend of the public schools he has been a director in his district, and some of the education progress in it may be credited to his advanced ideas. A man of sterling honesty, his attitude on any subject inspires respect and his advice is often sought by those who desire to insure a stability in civic matters.

The following are J. Lindley and Georgia Frame Mendenhall's obituaries:

J. L Mendenhall, Farm Bureau Head, Called
Miami Gazette,
October 23, 1941

J. Lindley Mendenhall, 72, widely known retired farmer and fruit grower and active member of the local Friends Meeting House, died Monday morning at Mc'Clellan hospital in Xenia. His death came as a shock to this community. He was taken to the hospital Saturday suffering from peritonitis, resulting in his death early Monday morning. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 2 PM at the Friends Meeting House here, the body lying in state from the noon hour until the time of the services. Burial was made in the Friends burial ground near the church. Mr. Mendenhall was an active member of the Friends church, he with Mrs. Mendenhall having been in charge of the Friends home here for five years. He was superintendent and treasurer of the home for the past 3 years. Mr. Mendenhall was president of the Warren Co. Farm Bureau co-operative and had been active in the Farm Bureau program in Warren Co. for many years. The Mendenhalls had lived in this community many years, recently selling the farm where they formerly made their home and known as the “Captain Hoel Farm.” Before his retirement from the farm, he was widely known in this section of the state as a fruit grower. He is survived by his wife, Georgia, and one brother.

Resident of Friends Home Passes Away
Miami Gazette,
September 26, 1946

Mrs. Georgia Mendenhall, aged 80, passed away at The Friends Home, Tuesday of this week at 12:30 PM after a short illness. She had been a resident of the home for about four and one-half years. Mrs. Mendenhall was the daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth Frame and lived in this community all her life. She is survived by two nieces, Mrs. Evelyn Powers, Fenton, Mich. and Mrs. Arthur Hugg, Detroit, Mich. Also, two nephews, Ernest Martin, Dayton, and Raymond Selby, Chicago, Ill. Mrs. Mendenhall was a member of the Friends Church; the Waynesville Garden Club; Secretary of the Library Trustees; Secretary of the Friends Home Board of Trustees; and Honorary Member of the New Century Club and the Farmer’s Club. Funeral Services were conducted today at 2:00 PM at the Friends Meeting House. The remains were removed to the Cincinnati Crematory under the direction of the Stubbs Funeral Home.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Paulina Butterworth ~ 1838-1915

Paulina Butterworth was the unmarried fourth child of Moorman and Fanny Smith Butterworth. She was a birthright Quaker and an ardent Temperance worker, a member of the W.C.T.U. and member of Miami Monthly Meeting (Hicksite). She was the sister of Clarkson Butterworth.

The following is the obituary of Paulina Butterworth found in the Miami-Gazette, July, 1915:
Paulina Butterworth, fourth child of Moorman and Fanny Smith Butterworth was born near Maineville, Warren County, Ohio, 5th mo. 19th 1838, and died 7th mo. 1st 1915, at her home on Third Street, Waynesville, Ohio, aged 77 years, 1 month and 12 days. Her father was a native of Campbell County, Virginia and moved to Ohio, with his parents, in 1812 and settled on the Little Miami River in the southern part of Warren County. Her mother, Fanny Smith, was a native of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. In about the year 1823 she moved to Waynesville, Ohio, traveling the distance in a one-horse wagon in company with Ezra Adams, one of Waynesville’s early settlers. Moorman Butterworth and Fanny Smith were married 9th mo. 7th 1825. They settled on their farm where all their five children were born.

Here they mingled their joys and sorrows contributing to the elevation and comforts of their community until his death in 1841, when Paulina was but three years of age. Paulina spent a number of her girlhood days in the family of Edward Butterworth, south-west of Waynesville, Ohio, having finished her school education at the Maineville Academy, but in the early sixties she, with her mother, moved to her late residence. Here she not only ministered to her mother’s declining years, but found time and pleasure in adding to the comfort and happiness of those with whom she mingled. Many persons can, and do testify to her deeds of kindness and charity. Besides the numerous individual gifts, she donated liberally to the Friends Boarding Home (also see, THE 1905 FRIENDS BOARDING HOME TIMELINE & FURTHER INFORMATION .

She was a birthright member of the Religious Society of Friends and a faithful attender of its meetings. She was likewise an active worker in the Temperance cause in her community, being a faithful member of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union for many years and gave liberally of her time and means fro the uplift of humanity. She read good books, lead an unassuming life and as to the great throng of mankind she might easily make the language of the poet her own:

'I have not loved the world, nor the world me. I have not flattered its rank breath, nor bowed To its idolatries a patient knee, Nor coined my cheek to smiles, nor cried aloud In worship of an echo. They could not deem me one of such.'

Clarkson Butterworth, a brother, and his family of Portland, Oregon, Martha Witham, of Lawrence Kansas, a sister, as well as a number of nieces and nephews, children of Ruthanna Witham, late of Union City, Indiana, and Edith Girton, late of Westboro, Clinton County, Ohio, with her numerous friends and neighbors, survive to mourn her loss."

The Paulina Butterworth house ~ Waynesville
Originally "Holloway's Tavern" where Henry Clay
stayed in 1825. Built by David Holloway.

Clarkson Butterworth ~ Clerk of Miami Monthly Meeting (Hicksite), Historian and Genealogist

Friend Clarkson Butterworth (1828-1916) was a farmer and stock raiser who was also a surveyor and civil engineering. He served as Justice of the Peace for two terms while living in Warren County (Hamilton Township), acquiring at that time, considerable knowledge of law pertaining to wills, deeds, lease, etc., and was very helpful to others in later years along that line, but with little financial profit to himself. In addition to his great mathematical ability, he had a wonderfully clear conception of the correct use of the English language, and continued to write concisely and clearly, up to the time of his death. He was also knowledgeable about astronomy physics, ocean tides and winds. He was adamantly against strong drink, tobacco, war and firearms. His life-long hobby was genealogy. He collected and systemized a huge amount of genealogical information about the Butterworths and other local families. This information was found in the Butterworth vertical file entitled: From Russell I. Butterworth, 1213 E. Church St., Marion, Ohio 43302), May 1968: To the Butterworth Cousins and Kinfolks, located in the The Ohioana Room of The Mary L. Cook Public Library, Waynesville, Ohio.

Clarkson Butterworth was one of the clerks of Miami Monthly Meeting and had charge of the records. As a genealogist he was able to use the records and personal accounts of Friends to compile the genealogies of the early pioneer families. His writings are all in manuscript form and are not published in print. His handiwork as a compiler can be seen throughout the collection of Miami Monthly Meeting records deposited at Wilmington College in Wilmington, Ohio.

Clarkson was a son of Moorman and Fanny Smith Butterworth. Moorman Butterworth was a native of Campbell County, Virginia, and moved to Ohio in 1812 and settled on the Little Miami River in the southern part of Warren County, Ohio. Fanny Smith Butterworth was a native of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. In about the year 1823 she moved to Waynesville, Ohio, traveling the distance in a one-horse wagon in company with Ezra Adams, one of Waynesville’s early settlers. Moorman and Fanny Butterworth were married 9th mo. 7th 1825. They had six children.

Clarkson Butterworth was married to Rachel Irvin Butterworth (1829-1916) and they also had six children. They lived almost all their lives in Warren County, but then moved to Portland, Oregon to be with their children and died there.

Manuscripts of Clarkson Butterworth:

o Genealogical Notes of Quaker Families in the Vicinity of Warren & Preble Counties, Ohio prepared by Clarkson Butterworth. (A copy is at Earlham College)
o Directory of Meetings: Indiana Yearly Meeting Religious Society of Friends (Listed Up To Near The Separation - About 1830) compiled by Clarkson Butterworth. (A copy is at Earlham College)
o Diary of Clarkson Butterworth, (1826-1916). (A copy is at Earlham College. The original is in the archive at The Waynesville Area heritage & Cultural Center at The Friends Home, Inc. in Waynesville, Ohio.)
o List, Nearly or Quite Complete of Changes of Membership in Miami Monthly Meeting and some other Matters, from 10.13.1803-5.24.1843 compiled by Clarkson Butterworth in 1904. (A copy is at The Mary L. Cook Public Library in Waynesville, Ohio).
o Descendants of Isaac (or Benjamin) Butterworth by Clarkson Butterworth.
o Catalogue of the Members of Miami Monthly Meeting, 7th mo. 1897 by Clarkson Butterworth (A copy is at The Mary L. Cook Public Library in Waynesville, Ohio).

Clarkson also wrote an extensive "History of Miami Monthly Meeting from 1803 to 1828" which is printed in "Friends Centennial, Miami Monthly Meeting, Waynesville, Ohio, 1803-1903"(Waynesville, Ohio: Miami-Gazette Press, 1903). See, The Centennial of Miami Monthly Meeting in 1903 ~ 100 Years of Ministry.