Green Plain Hicksite Meetinghouse & Cemetery
(above and below)
Green Plain Orthodox Meetinghouse & Cemetery (above)
Green Plain Monthly Meetings of Friends
History of Clark County, Ohio (Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co, 1881) ,pp. 765-766
"The original society by this name was organized in 1822, and worshiped near the residence of Samuel C. Howell, three-fourths of a mile northeast of the village of Selma. Patience Sleleper was one of the first preachers. The records fail to givew any very definite account of the early doings of the meeting, or of its memebership, for the first four years. In 1826, the society, here and elsewhere, on account of a question of doctrine, separated in two bodies (The Hicksite Separation); the one took upon itself the name "Orthodox", the other was afterward known as "Hicksites" ~ that is, followers of the doctrines as proclaimed by Elias Hicks.
This branch of the Green Plain Monthly Meeting of Friends left the Hicksites in possession of the meetinghouse, and of whatever church property owned by the original society a the time of separation (1826), and, for lack of a meetinghouse, the residence of John Wildman was used for that purpose. Friend Wildman's house was one mile east of Selma. This branch at the time of the separation, numbered 236 members. Following is a list of the fathers of the society, who, with their wives and children, were the principal members: Samuel Sleeper, Seth Williams, John Wildman, Cephas Atkinson, Thomas Atkinson, William Vickers, Thomas Embree, Levi Hutton, Jeremiah Warder, Thomas Lewis, Seth Smith, Jackson Allen.
On the 28th day of July 1832, the meeting numbered 220 members. At this date, they determined to build a meetinghouse, and thereupon they purchased for that purpose, of John Bocock and Joshua Engle, one and a half acres of land near the village of Selma, and built theron a frame church, 22X40 feet, one story high, and with the customary partition. They worshiped here till the year 1871, when they built the house they now occupy. It is a brick structure, 40X52 feet, with vestibule front, and is of modern architecture. The cost of this house was $4,300 (see black & white photo above). The present membership is 150. Jacob Baker is the present Pastor.
Green Plain Monthly Meeting (Hicksites)
This branch of the Freinds' Society had its origin with the original Green Plain Monthly Meeting, as elsewhere stated, in 1822. When the separatioh took place in 1826, this branch held the church property, the meetinghouse being near the residence of Samuel Howell three-fourths of a mile northeast of Selma. There is no record showing the strength of this branch when the society separated, but it is probable it was smaller than the branch known as the Orthodox.
They continued worshiping here till the year 1843, when of account of the agitation of the question of slavery, a division took place. A part of the (Hicksite) society held extreme anti-slavery views, and a part were conserative; hence the separation. The extremists (known as Congregationalists) held the church building for several years, and then became extinct, partly by their members joining with one of the other branches of the original society, and partly by their joining other Christian denominations. The building, with the ground on which it stood, was abandoned. The conservative (original Hicksites) portion built a house of worship on the lands of Abel Walker, a mile northeast of the fomer one, completing it in March 1844; their number at this time was 100. The church is of brick, 22X42 feet, and cost a cash outlay of $415.66. The Building Committee was Thomas Merritt, Joshua Harrison, Isaac Warner and Thomas Branson. Hannah P. Wilson and Ann Packer have preached to the society from time to time. The society now numbers nearly one hundred.
See, Thomas Hill's Monthly Meetings in North American: A Quaker Index: