Miami Monthly Meeting of the Society of Friends in Waynesville, Ohio
Interior of the White Brick Meetinghouse ~ Balcony & Benches ~ Waynesville, Ohio
The Clerk's Desk and the Facing Benches ~ Waynesville, Ohio
The photographs above are of Miami Monthly Meeting of The Society of Friends (FGC) in Waynesville, Ohio, located on Quaker Hill, high above the Little Miami River. It is known as the "White Brick" meetinghouse built in 1811. The meeting itself was established in 1803, the same year Ohio became a state. There are two Quaker meetinghouses in Waynesville. The other one is known as the "Red Brick" and was built in 1836 by Orthodox Friends. After the Hicksite Separation of 1828, the Hicksite Quakers met in the "White Brick". The Orthodox group met in the old log cabin meetinghouse that was on the site of the present "Red Brick" (see above) up until 1836. The building today is used as a community room for Miami Monthly Meeting (FGC). It has just recently been remodeled inside with a new kitchen and handicapped bathroom and is available to be rented by interested groups.
Miami Monthly Meeting was also noted for its excellent boarding school. The school began the same time pioneer Quakers in the area began to gather for worship. The school first met in a Quaker home, then in the original log meetinghouse and then, when the White Brick meetinghouse was built, a brick school was also built on Quaker Hill in 1811. The building still exists. It is now a private residence although altered (see photograph below). Also see, Joseph Cloud and Roland Richards ~ Two early founders of Miami Monthly Meeting. Roland Richards was the first teacher in the meeting's school.
See, Thomas Hill's Monthly Meetings in North American: A Quaker Index:
Also, see map: Map of Quaker Meetinghouses