The Evans Home on North Main Street,
The Surveyor's Office (no longer extant)
is on the right
Benjamin and Hannah Smith Evans immigrated from Bush River Meeting in South Carolina to Waynesville, Ohio with their children.
1 Benjamin Evans b: 12 OCT 1760 d: 10 JUL 1830
+ Hannah Smith b: 3 JUL 1767 d: 19 SEP 1853
2 Thomas Evans b: 12 DEC 1791 d: 11 MAY 1852 (Bd. of Earlham College)
+ Hannah Pedrick d: 11 JAN 1828
3 Benjamin Evans b: 6 NOV 1814 d: 23 JUL 1837
3 Lydia Evans b: 13 AUG 1816
+ Joseph C. Cooper
3 Margaret Evans b: 26 AUG 1818
+ David S. Burson (noted early educator in Ohio and Indiana)
3 Isaac P. Evans b: 1 MAR 1821 (President of Evans Linseed Oil Co. of Indianapolis and Richmond and on Bd. of Earlham College)
3 Ann Evans b: 18 APR 1823
3 Mary Evans b: 5 AUG 1825
+ Elizabeth Robinson b: 24 JAN 1802
3 William R. Evans b: 3 DEC 1834
+ Margaret Hadley b: 13 OCT 1836
4 George Evans
3 Owen Evans b: 8 DEC 1836 d: 21 NOV 1839
3 George L. Evans b: 17 SEP 1838
3 Joseph R. Evans b: 16 NOV 1840 (Partner with Isaac P. Evens and on Bd. of Earlham College)
2 David Evans b: 30 JUN 1793 d: 19 NOV 1861
+ Rachel Burnett
3 Dr. John Evans b: 9 MAR 1814 (Territorial Governor of Colorado)
3 Joel Evans b: 23 JAN 1816 d: 17 SEP 1907
+ Susan R. Sharp b: 24 MAY 1815 d: 30 NOV 1840
4 Elizabeth S. Evans b: 1838 d: 30 AUG 1861
+ Elizabeth Satterthwaite b: 20 JUN 1820 d: 4 DEC 1872
4 Rachel Caroline Evans b: 6 JUN 1845
4 John S. Evans b: 31 JUL 1849
4 David Evans b: 4 DEC 1851
3 Seth Evans b: 21 OCT 1817
3 Evan Evans b: 1 JUL 1820 d: 21 OCT 1821
4 Lydia Evans
4 John Evans
4 Pamelia Evans
4 Hannah Evans
3 Owen Evans b: 17 AUG 1821 d: 29 JAN 1823
3 Rebecca Evans b: 15 AUG 1823 d: 25 DEC 1845
3 Benjamin Evans b: 16 DEC 1824
3 Mary Evans b: 27 JUL 1826 d: 9 APR 1850
3 Hannah Evans b: 3 APR 1829
3 Ann Evans b: 1 MAY 1831
3 Jason Evans b: 31 MAR 1833 d: 23 AUG 1907
2 Elizabeth Evans b: 6 FEB 1795
2 Owen Evans b: 16 MAR 1800 d: 2 JUL 1827
2 George Evans b: 25 FEB 1802 (Bd. of Earlham College)
+ Sarah (Mary) Hasket
2 Sarah Evans b: 6 MAR 1804 d: 24 JUN 1851
2 Mary Evans b: 22 FEB 1806 d: 18 AUG 1830
+ Richard Pedrick
+ Amirah Haines b: 22 JAN 1804 d: BEF 1836
+ Mary W. Haines b: 12 AUG 1815 d: 25 APR 1889
3 Sarah Evans b: 12 JUN 1837 d: 7 OCT 1916
+ William F. or J. Lippincott b: 4 NOV 1828
4 Jason Evans Lippincott b: 1 JAN 1861
4 Catharine B. Lippincott b: 15 AUG 1863
4 Mary Evans Lippincott b: 23 AUG 1865
4 Jesse T. Lippincott b: 23 FEB 1876
3 Susan Evans b: 1 JAN 1841 d: 15 SEP 1898
+ Briggs Cunningham b: ABT 1839
3 Benjamin Evans b: 23 APR 1843 d: 14 MAY 1913
son of Benjamin and Hannah
David Evans (1793-1861) and his bride, Rachel Burnett, were the first couple to get married in the newly built White Brick Meetinghouse of Miami Monthly Meeting in Waynesville, Ohio on June 2, 1813. Rachel was a devoted Quaker and Temperance woman. David and Rachel built what became known as the Evans’ house (see above and to the left) in Waynesville located on North Main Street, two doors south of the old Waynesville Academy. David and Rachel owned the entire block of land bordered by Main Street to Chapman Street, to Third Street, to Franklin Road, and back to Main Street. Thier property became known as “The Evans’ Addition” to the town of Waynesville. Information about “The Evans’ Addition can be found in Warren County Deed Book # 27, page 172. The addition to the town was made in 1846. see maps of Waynesville at Old and New Maps of Waynesville and Corwin, Ohio. David was a Wayne Township Trustee from 1851-1844 and was a trustee of the Waynesville-Wilmington Turnpike, 1851-1852 (Miami-Visitor, May 16, 1851). He was an agent for the Union Insurance Company (Miami-Visitor, January 16, 1852). He carried on his father’s (Benjamin's) Auger trade and also had a mercantile business in Waynesville and he was an executor of wills and settler of estates. He often was called to be the official guardian over minors. For example, after the tragic death of Noah Haines and many in his family in 1834, David Evans became the guardian of his surviving children: Noah (age 19), Ann (age 17), James (age 16), Seth (age 14) on September 14, 1835 (OCP67, #14). David Evans was a highly esteemed citizen. His son, Dr. John Evans, became the governor of the Colorado Territory in 1861 (The Evan’s Family by Jane and Robert W. Evans, 1994, p. 12). David Evans was also the clerk of Indiana Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) for many years. He was the author of a pamphlet published during the heat of the aftermath of the Hicksite Schism entitled “Calumny Refuted, and the Members of Miami Monthly Meeting of Friends Defended against the wanton and malicious charges and foul reproaches cast upon them, by their quondam brethren in a late publication, entitled, “ A Testimony of Miami Monthly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox) concerning Joseph Cloud” (Sesquicentennial Scrapbook [Published by Indian Yearly Meeting FGC, 1970] pp. 15-17). David Evans was buried in the Friends Graveyard in Waynesville, on 11th mo. 20th day 1861. Joel Evans,
son of David and Rachel
Joel Evans was an important figure in Waynesville. As a young man he learned the trade of his father, David, becoming an Auger. In 1840 Joel and his first wife Susan Sharp Evans moved to Jay County, Indiana where they lived near Camden. Susan died November 30th, 1840. After her untimely death in Indiana, he returned to Waynesville where he lived for the rest of his life.
Joel had been a surveyor (He began his surveyor business in 1844.) a builder (from 1851-1861) and in 1866 became the Surveyor of Warren County. He ran for County Surveyor as early as 1851 on the Whig Ticket (see Miami-Visitor, August 1, 1851). He won the office in 1866. He was the mayor of Waynesville in 1855 (see Miami-Visitor, April 4th, 1855). He put out his shingle in Waynesville often advertising in the Miami-Gazette: Joel Evans, Surveyor, Conveyancer and Notary Public, Waynesville, Ohio (see, July 5th, 1865). He was elected to the Board of Warren County Commissioners from 1871 to 1874. As a builder (architect) he drew up the plans for the Warren County Children’s and Orphan’s Home at Lebanon and was the superintendent of its construction in 1874. He was on the first Board of Trustees of this Children’s and Orphan’s Home. He served for two terms.
His surveyor’s office was located on North Main Street next to his parent’s home (see photograph above). He plotted the "Evan’s Addition" to Waynesville wherein was located the Waynesville Academy. He surveyed and plotted Miami Cemetery in 1867 and he was on the Miami Cemetery Board of Directors for many years. He was elected to the Board of Education in Waynesville beginning in 1873 and served as clerk for many years. He was also one of the first Directors of the The Waynesville National Bank, which was founded in 1874. Other directors were: S. S. Haines, S. W. Rogers, Jonas Janney, E. A. Brown, A. P. O’Neall and B. A. Stokes.
On August 18th, 1869, Joel Evans penned a very lengthy article for the Miami-Gazette entitled, “Facts and Figures” which reflects his interest in mathematics, trigonometry and natural law. His conclusion is rooted in his Quaker faith:
As the ancient philosophers said of Deity, so is it true of his universe, “its center is everywhere, and its circumference nowhere.” In the contemplation of these truths, what a ample field of reflection is opened before us, and “A soul without reflection, like a pile without inhabitants, to ruin runs.” And when we reflect that all truths are of Divine origin, part and parcel of the attributes of Deity, fixed and eternal, existing in the beginning, unchanged and unchangeable forever, how many finely wrought theories, the productions of Man’s feeble and fallible imagination, have fallen and must continue to fall when found opposing these immutable laws of nature.
According to Clarkson Butterworth (Membership of Miami Monthly Meeting in 1897): Joel Evans, b. 1 mo. 23rd 1816-d. 9 mo. 17th 1907). P. O. and residence, Waynesville, Ohio. His first wife and present third one were not members. His second wife, and mother of his son David was Eliza, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Linton) Satterthwaite. Joel’s parents were David and Rachel (Burnet) Evans, which David was the son of Benjamin and Hannah Evans and which Rachel was the daughter of John Burnet, brother of Daniel who married Ann Gause and in 1845 was living with Ann in the large brick house now gone at or near the site of the present home of Eli D. Burnet here in catalogued. About 1823 and I do not know how long before and after that place was the home of said David and Rachel (Burnet) Evans and their family. Said Rachel’s father, John Burnet, having died his widow married Job Jefferies . . . Descendents of this Job Jefferies still live north or northeast of Oakland in Clinton Co. Ohio. Joel’s first wife, Susan (Sharp) Evans had issue but none are living (Their daughter was Elizabeth S. who died in Waynesville August 30th, 1861 at the age of 22 year 7 months and 10 days.). His second, Eliza (Satterthwaite) Evans had besides David, and John S., a daughter Rachel Caroline (Carrie) who married Seth W. Brown (1841-1923), now a member of Congress from this congressional district. His present wife was Cynthia Fitzpatrick and has no children.
Late in his life, Joel bought the Italianate Victorian house on North Main Street from John and Clara Funkey. His third wife Cynthia Fitzpatrick Evans (1850-1928) was a lavish entertainer and the house was perfect for her social galas. Cynthia owned the mansion up until her death on April 16, 1928. For more information see 1882 History of Warren County, Ohio (Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1882), p. 839-841 and Waynesville’s First 200 Years, 1797-1997 [The Waynesville Historical Society, 1997], p 185.
Above: The Funkey~Evans House
Jason Evans, originally from Waynesville and a wealthy self-made man, was always very generous in his support of schools. His advantages of schooling were limited when a youth but he attained the equivalent of a business education and taught mathematics in the Waynesville public schools. He also was the clerk of Miami Monthly Meeting while he still lived in Waynesville. Before he and his wife Mary moved to Cincinnati in 1843, he was from 1832 to 1840 owner with Stephen Cook of the Jennings Mill along the millrace in Waynesville. He also owned the Buena Vista Saw Mill one mile below Waynesville. After becoming sole owner, Evans sold the Jennings Mill to William Oliphant for $14,000 in 1840.
became a very successful businessman and banker in Cincinnati. He was a prominent member of Cincinnati Monthly Meeting
being at one time its clerk, a trustee, its treasurer and an elder. He was the largest contributor to the establishment and sustaining of Miami Valley Institute ~ A Hicksite Quaker College in Springboro, Ohio
and controlled the majority of the stock. The Wrights of Springboro and the Butterworths of Foster’s Crossing supplied the liberal philosophical point of view for Miami Valley College
and provided administrative and teaching skills, as well as money. Jason Evans
, however, provided the bulk of the material wealth needed to accomplish the mission.
The Evans family members were very prominent people moved beyond Waynesville into southwest Ohio (Waynesville and Cincinnati) and Indiana (Indianaoplis and Richmond). The family took great interest in Quaker Colleges, Earlham in Richmond, Indiana (Orthodox) and Miami Valley College in Springboro, Ohio (Hicksite).
Thomas and George were on the Board of Earlham from 1846-1852. Isaac P. Evans, the son of Thomas was on Earlham’s board in 1854, 1865-1867, and 1873-1878. Thomas had also been on the Board of the Harveysburg Academy in the 1840s. Isaac P. Evans was the President of Evans Linseed Oil Co. of Indianapolis and Richmond. Other members of the Evans family over the years have served on Earlham’s board: Joseph R. Evans (1852-1907), a half brother to Isaac P. Evans and business partner, was chairman of the board from 1882-1907. Also, Edward D. Evans, the son of William R., who was a son of Thomas by his second wife. He was the president of the Evans Milling Company, Indianapolis.
The Evans family is an example of a Quaker family that although divided by the Hicksite Schism, but still remained united although there were some lingering bitter feelings. The following story gives an indication of the tension created by the Hicksite Schism. In August of 1828, Miami Quarterly Meeting refused to accept the Orthodox statement of faith “A Testimony and Epistle of Advice”. As the disgruntled Orthodox left the White Brick Meetinghouse the two brothers, Thomas and David Evans, one Orthodox and the other Hicksite, grabbed the minute books. Thomas, the Orthodox Quaker had the books in his hand but David, the Hicksite, stood on his coattails and ripped them off as Thomas rather unceremoniously exited out of one of the White Brick’s windows!
David Evans became the first clerk of Indiana Yearly Meeting (Hicksite) in 1828-1829 and then from 1831-1837, in 1852-1853 and from 1857-1860 (see, Quakers on the American Frontier by Errol T. Elliott [Richmond, Ind.: The Friends United Press, 1969], pp. 391-392).