The new meetinghouse at the
Quaker Heritage Center at Wilmington College
is modeled after Dover Meetinghouse.
Dover Monthly Meeting ~
Cemetery behind the building
Union Twp., Clinton County, Ohio,
Dover Road., V.M.S. 1236
The following is taken from the program of the
150 the Anniversary of Dover Meeting,
September 8th, 1974
Early in the 1800's four families who migrated from Tennessee to settle along Todd's Fork formed the nucleus of a Society of Friends at Dover. The new settlers were welcome by the Indians living there and all lived peacefully together. As more pioneers were attracted to the area, the Quaker group requested the privilege of holding indulged meetings. This was granted by Center Quarterly Meeting. This later was made a preparative meeting. Soon the first meetinghouse built of round logs was built on the ground deeded to the trustees for three dollars.
In 1824 on the 4th day of the 9th month, a Monthly Meeting was established, including Senaca, now Jamestown Meeting. In 1840 Grassy Run preparatiave meeting was established; this with Dover and Seneca Meetings was granted the privilage of becoming its own montly meeting.
In 1844 the log building that served as meetinghouse at Dover was replaced by the brick structure which still stands. The new building, like many Quaker meetinghouses then had a partition in the form of shutters that raised or lowered as the occasion demanded. The shutters were opened during the worship hour, closed for business sessions. Men and women had their separate business sessions. Later these shutters were removed.
In 1954 a new addition and restroom facilities wre added, the men of the meeting donated the labor.
In 1970 another major improvement in the building included wall paneling, drop ceiling, new heating system and repairing the roof. This was done by the women and men, donating the money and labor. We are proud of our efforts.
Jamestown (Seneca) Meeting was a preparative meeting of Dover Monthly Meeting until 1910/08/06.
Grassy Run Meeting was a preparative meeting of Dover Monthly Meeting from 1835/12/09-1910/08/06
A TIMELINE OF DOVER HISTORY:
1804 ~ The Haworth and Wright families (from Tennessee) and the Dillon family settle in the Dover area.
1808 ~ As an indulged meeting it met in the home of Ezekiel Frazier and was known as "Frazier's Meeting". They also met in a vacant house for a while until the group decided to purchase land for a meetinghouse and graveyard from Amos Hodson. They then built a log meetinghouse.
1813 ~ The indulged meeting became a preparative meeting and was named "Dover Meeting" by Jesse Dillon.
1824 ~ Dover was established as a Monthly Meeting. Seneca (Jamestown) meeting was made a preparative meeting of Dover Monthly Meeting.
1830 ~ Grassy Run preparative meeting of Dover MM was established.
~ David Baily
of Dover Meeting travels with a party of Friends and Shawnee chiefs to present to congress a memorial in the behalf of the Shawnee at the Quaker Mission to the Shawnee at Wapakoneta, Ohio. The leader of that group of Friend Henry Harvey
of Springfield Monthly Meeting
. The members of Dover
were also involved in the Underground Railroad
and many homes were stops along the way.
1844-1845 ~ The present brick meetinghouse was built. The builder was John Oren, Jr.
1924 ~ Celebration of the Centennial of Dover Monthly Meeting.
1954 ~ Renovation of the building: addition to the building and a water system.
1970 ~ More renovation and updating of the building.