Chester Monthly Meeting ~ The McMillan Settlement
(FUM ~ Wilmington Yearly Meeting)
8 Mi. N. off SR 68 N
Wilmington, OH 45177 (Clinton County)
Sunday School 8:45 am Worship 9:45 am
- 1824 ~ Indulged meeting under Center Monthly Meeting. They met in a school located on the Thomas McMillan farm.
- 1828 ~ The present lot was donated and a log cabin meetinghouse built.
- 182-30 ~ First burials in the graveyard, John Baxter and his wife, Mary McMillan Baxter. The east side of this cemetery was used to bury runaway slaves who died on their journey.
- 1844 ~ A brick meetinghouse was built.
- 1914 ~ The old brick meetinghouse was replaced with the present meetinghouse.
- 1858 ~ A parsonage was built.
Chester Monthly Meeting has been actively involved in the Underground Railroad, in the peace ministry, in temperance, in missionary work and relief efforts, has supported conscientious objectors during times of war, and supported a Japanese hostel in Cincinnati during World War II. They continue their enlightened work.