Newberry Monthly Meeting ~ Martinsville, Ohio (Clinton County)
(Martinsville [Newberry] Monthly Meeting)
Martinsville, OH 45145
Sunday School 8:30 am Worship 9:15 am
- 1809/1810 ~ First indulged meeting for worship is conducted in the home of John Wright, the first Quaker settler near Martinsville from Newberry County, South Carolina. The meeting was under the care of Clear Creek Monthly Meeting.
- 1813/1814 ~ Seven acres of land are donated to Friends by General William Lytle. The site of the present meetinghouse and cemetery are on land obtained from Aaron Betts in exchange for some of the Lytle land. The first meetinghouse was made of logs. Later a brick meetinghouse was built. It was destroyed by fire.
- Decemeber 2th, 1816 ~ First meeting as Newberry Monthly Meeting.
- 1844 ~ A large frame meetinghouse was built.
- 1846 ~ First Day School (Sunday School) is established.
- 1883 ~ The present meetinghouse was built.
- 1937 ~ An annex was added to the meetinghouse.
- 1955 ~ A parsonage was built.
- 1962 ~ The name was changed to Martinsville (Newberry) Monthly Meeting