Quaker Homesteads: The Braddock Home
Front Porch of the Braddock homestead
The Braddock home up on the hill overlooking the Little Miami River. Braddock Run is to the right and empties into the Little Miami.
The north side of the Braddock home
Recently married Robert Slack Braddock (b. September 4th, 1843 ~d. December 29th, 1928) was looking for a house on a hill with a spring. He found a farm on the east side of the Little Miami River just a few miles north of the little hamlet of Corwin, Ohio. It is located on New Burlington Road. He bought the land from David and Susana Mason in 1879. The original house had three rooms, plus a lean-to kitchen which had a dirt floor. The first years of their marriage were full of hard labor. Elizabeth (Eliza) A. Braddock (b. October 3rd, 1842 ~ d. January 26th, 1915) cooked in a kitchen with a dirt floor. The farm grew tobacco, hay, corn and wheat. At that time, tobacco was a big cash crop in the Waynesville area. Over the years the house was remodeled, rooms were added and conveniences. In 1903 there was a major renovation. A front room, a parlor, was added with a bed room above. A bed room was added above the lean-to kitchen. A floor was put into the kitchen and it was transformed into a living room. Later a new kitchen was added behind the living room with a screened in porch next to it. A pantry was then added onto the new kitchen. The big beautiful front porch was added last by Frank Braddock.